Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2013, 01:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I am not talking about a VM I am talking physical. Name one of those that does not have network out of the box working?

?!?! CentOS - one.

Old November 25, 2013, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
?!?! CentOS - one.

Networking in general works from the get go. They decided in all their wisdom to make users have to turn it on.

So my point still stands.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

My personal recommendation, as I am learning linux and been playing with every linux distro I could lay my hands on (Mint, Ubuntu, CrunchBang, Debian, Kali Linux, Ultimate Edition, Mageia) and even played around recently with Untangled Server, Smoothwall, FreeNAS, NAS4Free, ClearOS, and even spent $25 for a Raspberry Pi all in an attempt to learn the pro/con and tools available. Started with VirtualBox - VMs then moved to full budget box builds.

-Debian is the most stable Distro I have used and I have had the most success (setting up SSH server, FTP Server, WebServer and Webmin)
-Ubuntu is the most eye candy and fun to play with (although you can change your X Windows to something else)
-Mint Linux is my preferred Ubuntu based Distro, although you can get the Debian based version of Mint
-Crunchbang was the simplest, low resource required, quickest and easiest Distro to install, use and dabble in. I still run this as a VM on my laptops for doing some activities.