Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally.. I recommend Arch Linux. I learned a lot about Linux and CLI just by installing Arch.
Old October 29, 2013, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Personally.. I recommend Arch Linux. I learned a lot about Linux and CLI just by installing Arch.
I've never used Arch but this "Following The Arch Way philosophy, Arch Linux is lightweight, flexible, simple and aims to be very UNIX-like"... Makes me say better to stick with Mint as anything that is more "Unix" like is very different than Linux.
Old October 29, 2013, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
funny thing Arch was the second distro I tried and I loved it stayed with it for over a yewar then I got back into windows forgot allot of linux things but then tried to go back to arch and for the life of me couldn't get it up and running mind you I didn't try to long.
But if you really like to play around for mew at least it was Arch.
once I have more time again ( winter months coming) I will probably do a reinstall of Arch again.
when I first used arch Ihad only two trouble spots the first was getting my asus zonar dx sound card to work but I eventually got allotr of helop building the proper drivers ( lot of good fun for a noob) and the second was getting my tv card to work that was a bit of a hassle but I did get it took work with arch and some media program which right now I couldn't remember.

XBMC came out with a linux but I personally don't like it it seems to be missing some things but yopu could try that live distro . if your not into live distros you could always install a virtual program like virtual box then install the linux on that and play around with it that is what I do now days
Old October 29, 2013, 01:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

personally i like xubuntu
Old October 31, 2013, 02:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

+1 for Arch Linux. been using it since around 2006 now. started with Fedora, and true to this day, it seems I can still do a fedora install, and just when I get everything I need setup, it somehow goes to hell on me. Ubuntu is one of those just works distros, it's good for getting your feet wet, but to be honest, I never really learned anything about Linux until I picked up Arch.

Trouble with Arch Linux, is it's a rolling binary distro, updates often go out with little testing and things break if you don't know what you're updating ahead of time, it's easy to break which is good if you want something to keep you on your toes at times
Old October 31, 2013, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
Trouble with Arch Linux, is it's a rolling binary distro, updates often go out with little testing and things break if you don't know what you're updating ahead of time, it's easy to break which is good if you want something to keep you on your toes at times
So you want to +1 Arch Linux then proceed to say that it could easily break due to a update? The guy is new to Linux and something like this is NOT a way to learn it. Getting frustrated with it first is going to make you NOT want to learn it.

The nice thing about Debian is that it has various development stages.. Stable, Testing, Unstable. While the stable repository can be behind in software it works and has no problems. If you are wanting to be a bit more bold you can try the testing or unstable repositories and things can and often do break.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
So you want to +1 Arch Linux then proceed to say that it could easily break due to a update? The guy is new to Linux and something like this is NOT a way to learn it. Getting frustrated with it first is going to make you NOT want to learn it.

The nice thing about Debian is that it has various development stages.. Stable, Testing, Unstable. While the stable repository can be behind in software it works and has no problems. If you are wanting to be a bit more bold you can try the testing or unstable repositories and things can and often do break.
I agree any Debian basic Linux is good like linux mint and all of the different flavors of Ubuntu if you go that route and you have problems just have a bit of thick skin if you go to the Ubuntu forums for help you might get flamed I found that the site Linux questions.org was allot more helpful for answering questions then the Ubuntu site.
Old October 31, 2013, 05:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Why bother with live or test. Go with the real thing, go with Debian Wheezy (this is the stable version). The only way to find out is to jump in. It is free, and lots of support form user forum.
Once you are used to it, you will not find much difference between Debian and Windows. They both have GUI to take care of the command stuff. Learn a few basic commands and you are good to go.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

I know, my comment contradicts itself. but as I said, Arch was where I really started learning anything truly useful about linux. The odd breaking of things helped in the sense that I had to learn to troubleshoot issues.

I found with other distros, ubuntu especially, troubleshooting consisted of going on a wiki, or forum, and copying and pasting commands into a terminal without ever understanding what was going on.

Arch has a wiki, yes, but from the beginning, you're working with command line. with the manual configurations from the get go, you get to learn what is being configured, and where. Things do break with updates if you just blindly go ahead and updating without checking the website before hand and informing yourself of any changes that you need to make in preparation for some of the updates, and changes you may need to make afterwards, such as the recent move to samba 4.X. Before Arch I would have never known where to look for log files, or to run a program from the terminal to monitor the output in the event of a program that wasn't running, or crashing. Tutorials help, but they're not everything

If you can find your way through Arch linux, the rest is easy.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
If you can find your way through Arch linux, the rest is easy.
Arch is your general run of the mill linux distro; just like Slackware and Debian is. There really is no difference in the various distros out there as they are all very similiar and share the same directory structure.

Its like DOS and which you figured it out it was super easy. I learned on Slackware back in the 2.4 days when optical drives were still being ran off sound blaster cards.

There is no one is better than the other for linux its simpy what you feel comfortable using and doing. For a beginner I don't suggest using a distro that requires compiling of packages as those are the most frustrating.

To quote your saying.. If you can find your way around Gentoo the rest is easy.