Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2013, 10:04 PM

My System Specs

Default Adventures w/ an ESXi server @ home.

Just thought I'd start this thread as I n00b my way through an ESXi Hypervisor build and setup. Some of the VM's I plan to run are Pfsense, FreeNAS, some sort of Windows (8/2008/2012?), and some sort of linux (Ubuntu/Fedora?). Possibly more to come down the road as I think of cool stuff.

Hardware wise is as follows

Opteron 6168. 12 cores @ 1.9GHz. Thanks goes to 10e for this recent upgrade.
Supermicro H8SGL-F.
64GB of 1333MHz DDC ECC . Thanks goes to Soullessone21 for the rocking good deal on these.
IBM M1015 Host Bus Adapter (HBA). Flashed this to an LSI 9211-8i-IT bios when I first bought it. I did this to get rid of the RAID and MPTSAS bioses. This way the card doesn't initialize @ bootup and so the drives can be used in passthrough to the OS. IBM ServeRAID M1015 Part 4: Cross flashing to a LSI9211-8i in IT or IR modeServeTheHome ? Server and Workstation Reviews
Intel 80GB X25-M G2.
Intel 30GB X25-E.
Whole bunch of HDDs.

Watercooled on my temporary ghetto bench.

First up I installed ESXI 5.5. Free version is pretty awesome as far as I can tell. https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/eva...xi5&lp=default
Install went forward enough. Installed it to my X25-M and it took 1-2GB or so.

I then installed the VMWare vSphere Client on my workstation. Same download link as above.

I then went and set the IBM HBA to passthrough. This allows for a guest VM to take direct control over it. This requires a board and CPU to fully support VD-T. Unless you have a workstation or server board, there is a good chance this won't work.

First up is a FreeNAS VM. I had lots of problems w/ Drive Bender in Windows so I decided to move to this. I tried it out earlier this year for a few days but at the time it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Used this guide for what to use for settings. The reason I am using so much ram is ZFS can use a lot. It caches reads to the ram. Plus I have 64GB of ram so why not?

FreeNASŪ in a Virtual Environment - Freenas

I then added the IBM HBA. This is pretty much a requirement for a FreeNAS that has a large number of disks. This allows FreeNAS to use the HBA and all the drives attached to it directly. Otherwise you could only mount virtual disks.

Then I created a ZFS RAIDZ 'array'. Used 4 x 3TB drives plus the 30GB X25-E as a ZIL drive. The ZIL drive is a cache use for synchronous writes to the array. Not sure if it will be beneficial or not to me but I had the drive so I thought minus whale.

I turned on the CIFS and iSCSI services. Created a CIFS share.

Created a guest user. Then went and gave the ZFS volume permissions for guest to read/write to the volume.

I can now access the ZFS RAIDZ storage pool I made from my Windows machines.

The cool thing about FreeNAS is that you can install little apps. They install inside of what they call a jail. Which is a small self contained OS/VM. If the app ever screws up it is completely isolated from the FreeNAS install. Obviously I will skip over some of the stuff here for obvious reasons.

Will stop here for tonight as it is getting late.

Last edited by lowfat; October 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool I would love to try this SO I am going to be watching this thread :)
Old October 25, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks this is the project I'm also trying to gear up for, so I will be following this thread closely :)
Old October 25, 2013, 06:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Enjoy your esxi experiments.

Just FYI, there are many basic intel processors that offer Vt-D passthrough not just server processors.

For example the i5-3570 offers it but the i5-3570K does not. Similarly with the 4670 and 4670k etc. Intel.com can show you which processor supports. Even my 5 year old E8400 has it.

Also you can use any basic machine for esxi testing if anyone is considering it.

Finally, you can also use your ubuntu server as a file server instead of freenas.

Keep posting on what yer up to!
Old October 25, 2013, 07:33 AM

My System Specs

From what I've read a lot of boards aren't designed properly to pass through pcie slots. Boards that share pcie bandwidth between multiple slots or devices can be an issue.

Setting up ZFS / RAIDZ in Ubuntu server would be a nightmare for anyone that isn't an expect with the Linux CLI.

Last edited by lowfat; October 25, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Regarding linux, I meant using samba which is pretty simple to setup. You can also install webmin for ubuntu server which gives you a web interface.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entilza View Post
Enjoy your esxi experiments.

Just FYI, there are many basic intel processors that offer Vt-D passthrough not just server processors.

For example the i5-3570 offers it but the i5-3570K does not. Similarly with the 4670 and 4670k etc. Intel.com can show you which processor supports. Even my 5 year old E8400 has it.

Also you can use any basic machine for esxi testing if anyone is considering it.

Finally, you can also use your ubuntu server as a file server instead of freenas.

Keep posting on what yer up to!
I'd stick to SB-E or IB-E processors with x79 or C606 chipsets, or AMD FX with 990FX, or Opteron/Xeon with server-based chipsets for this due to the PCI-E lane limitations as lowfat has said.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old October 25, 2013, 09:02 AM

My System Specs

Been having issues w/ write performance to the FreeNAS share. Haven't been able to break 60MB/s. Have tried a bunch of different settings but nothing has resulted in higher write performance.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was trying to use hyperviser ( server 2012 ) with my intel build and although after a bunch of problems I did get hyperviser to run but I could not install any OS's becasue apparently the i5 2500k dose not support this it supports installing Virtual box but I cannot install windows 8 or the like onto it which is why I put together my AMD 1100t be system only six core but I do know it will work. I posted else where becasue m,y AMD system was having Bios problems but I think i solved ( with the help of others on the forums here) the problem.
I do want to do this using one of my other AMD server chips but for now at least I don't have the motherboard that plays nice with the es 6234 chip.
I am going to follow this thread
Old October 25, 2013, 09:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

ESXI works well when installed on a usb drive or flash card, that would free up your ssd.
I'm not sure if you are planning on putting more vms on your local ssd, however a neat way to have it setup is to have esxi on a usb drive, then a small local drive for a freenas vm. You boot esxi, freenas starts, then it shares it's raid array to esxi - and the rest of your vm's start.
I played around with freenas a year ago and wasn't able to get the write speeds over ~75 MB/s - but I didn;t have a ssd caching drive. You may have more luck, but what I can tell you is that there is some comprehensive guides on storage configuration for zfs. It can get quite complicated.
This is a good read though, and the storage section has some great links
Hardware Recommendations - Freenas