Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2013, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I need something capable of drive pooling. FlexRAID in Ubuntu wasn't able to see the disks. I haven't found anything else worth a damn capable of pooling + parity.
Read up on LVM yet? Not sure about the parity though.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LVM works, but MDADM would be the way to go now days if you ask me, at least if you're looking for something not ZFS.....but why would one do that?

I was using LVM for a few years up until recently to stripe 3 1Tb drives in my linux machine. never had issues, but it lacked redundancy which wasn't a concern since it was being rsync'd to my file server on a daily basis. My nix box is no more though, I've replaced it with a hackintosh since anything I do on a linux desktop can be done on Mac now days, and then some
Old October 28, 2013, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
different base kernel architectures to a degree, different kernel modules/drivers for the nic interfaces can make for large differences in performance.
You are right in that sense. But I think if he was to use the proper network drivers he may see a improved speed.

I am not sure if he installed the correct vmware drivers.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well, VMWare will give you the option of using a virtual intel gigabit nic, which won't require an extra driver for any linux/unix/bsd etc distribution. Or, you can use the VMXNet2/3 adapter which will require the vmware driver

I tend to use the intel E1000 because it makes things easier not having to add network drivers post-install to get connectivity. Then I upgraded to 5.5 because it removes the previous 32gb RAM limit for the free license (Yay), I found with Solaris I had to switch to the VMXNet3 adapter because I had issues with the E1000, it was dropping on me constantly, or it would transfer a small burst of 300-400mb of a large file at high speed, then drop of below 500kb/s. I'm not sure how that issue affects or may affect other guest OS' since I haven't run into any other issues (yet)

That's why I asked about what vNIC was used anyhow

I had found a solution for my intel NIC issue and saved the info in a text file, not sure where it came from, but here it is. I haven't tried it, but it may be relevant

Quote:
Info:
I have stability problems when using e1000 on a default OmniOS VM under ESXi 5.5
It works either when using the VMXnet3 vnic or when adding the following lines to /kernel/drv/e1000g.conf (reboot required)

#Disable TCP segmentation offload
tx_hcksum_enable=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0;
lso_enable=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0;

Maybe similar to this problem:
VMware KB: Possible data corruption after a Windows 2012 virtual machine network transfer

Last edited by stlouis1; October 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old October 29, 2013, 11:16 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post

@Lowfat - out of curiosity, which virtual NIC interface did you have configured for your FreeNAS guest? Intel or VMXNet3?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can install the VMXNet3 drive in FreeNAS. there should be some info on their forums on how to do so. It may work better, and as far as I know, FreeNAS is probably the closest you'll get to anything non-windows that won't require much command line work
I used the Intel. I tried using the VMXNet3. It detected the NIC but I couldn't get it work. I didn't try to install any other driver.

I am going to setup FreeNAS on a separate box to see how it performs. After I get it up and running I'll play around w/ it in a VM to see if I can get it performing well.
Old October 20, 2014, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bump from the grave.

Any updates regarding your current storage setup? I'm still trying to decide on my next move and looking for people's experiences.
Old October 20, 2014, 10:48 AM

My System Specs

I use two different machines.

The FreeNAS box doesn't do anything except share the 8x3TB RAIDZ1 array for movies, TV, and backups of the backups. It runs so well I honestly forget about it. I have zero interaction w/ it. 1GbE link is the bottleneck. Two systems can actually pull 110MB/s reads from this box at the same time. Doesn't support SMB3.01.

Then I have an ESXi machine. It runs everything else. At the moment I just have a few VMs running. Win 8.1 Pro for Sabnzbd+, Sick Beard, Couchpotato, XBMC database, etc. It as serves as the main network storage for my other computers including backups. Using Win8.1 for SMB3.01 so up to 220MB/s transfers to my main machine.

The ESXi box runs pfsense for the network. It also runs a few other VMs for testing but they are generally off. This box also runs so well I forgot they are VMs. I haven't had to interact w/ the host in a good 2 months.

Both machines are G34 H8SGL-F w/ 32GB Kingston ECC.

I have started to collect 10GbE equipment to connect my main box to both servers. That should happen sometime this year hopefully.
Old October 20, 2014, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wished I had more room to do something like this.
Old October 21, 2014, 11:38 AM

My System Specs

You don't necessarily need a lot of space. You can even go as small as ITX for servers. Mine are big only because I had the majority of the hardware already.

My FreeNAS box.

And the ESXi box.