Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2013, 09:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Hmm. I've never used Solaris. Would it be easy for a n00b to setup a RAIDZ volume?
good question. if you can handle some mostly straight forward command line, it's not bad. the zpool and zfs usage is documented well enough

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/...ynr/index.html

Everything after that, is a curve-ball

AD integration for once is....different....I had it working well enough that share permissions weren't an issue. what complicated things was when I started hosting sickbeard, sabnzbd and transmission on the system because I had to bind an AD account to a local account to run the services as a local user. it took me a couple nights of tinkering.

the other issue I had was getting a more recent version of MySQL running on it for a shared xbmc database which took me a couple nights of tinkering but I ended up getting phpmyadmin setup as well to manage mysql which made life easier too in the end

what really helped, was when I just recently found napp-it, which will also work on OpenIndiana (which may also be worth a look). Though I find the web interface for napp-it lacks a certain finesse, it has the options. I can get you screenshots if you have anything in particular you might be looking for in napp-it in case it interests you.

depending on your skill level, Solaris may be a challenge depending on how far you want to take it. but as I said, it's been working well for me, curve-ball aside. I've been using Linux since 2004, if that says anything.

Something else you may find useful for managing VMWare is PowerCLI. If you're a PowerShell user, you'll like it. Just throwing it out there, since working with ESXi via ssh is painful at best if you don't do it all day every day.

feel free to PM me if you have more questions so as to keep the thread on topic,
Old October 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
No. But I tried it out w/ unRAID. Maxed the connection. Shame its interface is straight out of 1994. I have no idea what I am doing.
If you are still playing, try installing webmin for ubuntu it actually gives you a ton of admin features through a web interface including samba and other services.

Linux is really powerful once you figure it out, essentially you can do all your server admin through an ssh and putty.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:22 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entilza View Post
If you are still playing, try installing webmin for ubuntu it actually gives you a ton of admin features through a web interface including samba and other services.

Linux is really powerful once you figure it out, essentially you can do all your server admin through an ssh and putty.
I need something capable of drive pooling. FlexRAID in Ubuntu wasn't able to see the disks. I haven't found anything else worth a damn capable of pooling + parity.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you can figure out Linux you can figure out Solaris. Its not that hard to figure out.. directory structure and software installation is a bit different.. but all the same pile.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:36 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
If you can figure out Linux you can figure out Solaris. Its not that hard to figure out.. directory structure and software installation is a bit different.. but all the same pile.
No way in eff do I have the smarts to setup a RAIDZ by a command line.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Then why not just use FreeNAS?
Quick how-to for newbies like me: FreeNAS RAIDZ on VMware ESXi | FreeNAS Community
Old October 28, 2013, 08:13 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
It was the first thing I tried. It performed horribly. For sustained transfers, 68 MB/s reads and 42 MB/s writes. FreeNAS just doesn't perform well in VMs from what I have read.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
It was the first thing I tried. It performed horribly. For sustained transfers, 68 MB/s reads and 42 MB/s writes. FreeNAS just doesn't perform well in VMs from what I have read.
ZRAID in FreeNAS will be exactly the same if I recall correctly that is used by Solaris. I don't see how they could be any different if you ran Solaris natively or used FreeNAS.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I used this guide to create my own sandbox on my server (IBM x3550 7978); though you may not have the full HDD complement the guy has, but running W8.1 EFI may make your life easier.

TinkerTry IT @ home | Download all the VMware vSphere 5.5 pieces to get your home lab started

VSphere Center for the Web Access (looks neat, my next install)
W8.1 w/62Tb C:\ drive here: Wow, is that a 62TB drive in my home lab? - YouTube
62Tb, for God's sake...
Old October 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
ZRAID in FreeNAS will be exactly the same if I recall correctly that is used by Solaris. I don't see how they could be any different if you ran Solaris natively or used FreeNAS.
different base kernel architectures to a degree, different kernel modules/drivers for the nic interfaces can make for large differences in performance.

it seems freebsd doesnt receive the most support for virtualization, XenServer for example doesn't support any freebsd based guests. That's not to say you can't run a freebsd system in Xenserver, but it won't perform right. If it weren't for that I'd switch to XenServer entirely

@Lowfat - out of curiosity, which virtual NIC interface did you have configured for your FreeNAS guest? Intel or VMXNet3?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can install the VMXNet3 drive in FreeNAS. there should be some info on their forums on how to do so. It may work better, and as far as I know, FreeNAS is probably the closest you'll get to anything non-windows that won't require much command line work