Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2013, 09:48 AM

My System Specs

ESXi only took like a few GB of space so I am not worried. Same thing goes for FreeNAS. I still have 64GB of free space on the SSD, which should be enough for the other VMs I plan on running.

I've played around some more w/ the shares and I am believe I am only getting poor performance w/ CIFS (Samba) shares. I setup an iSCSI target on FreeNAS and it performed beautifully. I think I should be able to live w/ the ~60MB/s writes as it will mostly just be media.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Get a NAS that supports iSCSI and you have a cheap SAN.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:56 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Get a NAS that supports iSCSI and you have a cheap SAN.
FreeNAS supports iSCSI. Hardly call it a SAN since it is running over ethernet though. The setup I had before was an actual SAN since it ran @ 800MB/s not this crummy 1Gbit. But unfortunately it was rather unstable.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

What SAN ran at 800mbs? Even fibre channel is gigabit.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:33 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
What SAN ran at 800mbs? Even fibre channel is gigabit.
800MB/s so 8gbit. Earlier this year I was running Infiniband from my server to my workstation. They were 20Gbit adapters but I was running IPoverIB which in Windows can't do more than 8Gbps after overhead.
Old October 25, 2013, 02:36 PM

My System Specs

Setting up an NIC team on my server just because I can.

Also had to enable it on the switch.

Then I created a 300GB iSCSI target. This will be used for pictures, Steam backups, etc. Good step by step here.
ISCSI - Freenas

I also attempted to import an NTFS disk to FreeNAS. It didn't work so well. Actually it humped the drive. Having to run Getdataback on it now.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:13 AM

My System Specs

Created a Windows 8 VM for Sickbeard & Sabnzbd. Forgot that using FreeNAS behind a VPN isn't exactly easy to setup which is why I am using Windows. Look at the consumed CPU and active ram usage. And people say Windows is a resource hog.

Old October 26, 2013, 09:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I was trying to use hyperviser ( server 2012 ) with my intel build and although after a bunch of problems I did get hyperviser to run but I could not install any OS's becasue apparently the i5 2500k dose not support this
You must be doing something wrong or don't have virtualization enabled in the BIOS. My i5 2500k on a P8P67 PRO board runs the Hyper-V role on Server 2012 perfectly fine. No issues at all.

And nice job lowfat, you are always doing crazy stuff Personally though, anything Linux-based for storage in a primarily Windows environment always suffers performance loss. I'm surprised you didn't stick with Server 2012/Windows 8 due to the new SMB3.0 protocol so you can at least get 200MB/s+.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've got 4 dual xeon rack servers sitting here and a fibre channel SAN full of 10,000 rpm iSCSI drives if anyone want to set up a server, PM me. I'd let these go for 1/50th of what they cost new. We use them for 4 years and swap them out.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You must be doing something wrong or don't have virtualization enabled in the BIOS. My i5 2500k on a P8P67 PRO board runs the Hyper-V role on Server 2012 perfectly fine. No issues at all.

And nice job lowfat, you are always doing crazy stuff Personally though, anything Linux-based for storage in a primarily Windows environment always suffers performance loss. I'm surprised you didn't stick with Server 2012/Windows 8 due to the new SMB3.0 protocol so you can at least get 200MB/s+.
I can run Hyper-V but I cannot install any OS tha tis newer then windows 7 in hyper-V or Virtualbox I have the virtuialization enabled ( I don't remember what it is called on this asrock z77 motherboard) but I always get some stupid error. it maybe that this OS is broken in someways also. later on I am going to back up and reinstall everything again what a pain this is going to be.

the onething I notice about Virtual OS like windows 7x86 it takes up 25GB