Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Windows 8, ssd and Dell

Well, heres my story...

I bought a Dell 15r SE 7520 a few weeks ago, and i absolutely love it. All I am missing was an ssd for overall speed. I've ordered a HDD caddy to replace my dvd drive, and ordered a 240gb ssd. I got my ssd today and have since tried to install windows 8 on the ssd... I tried using Dell's backup BS, and it would work, if my ssd was bigger than 693gb. I guess the backup only works with a disk bigger than the disk you backed up ( and my disk only has 180gb used...). I could clone the disk, but i dont need steam on my ssd, or anythign but the OS, chrome and MS office. anyway, cloning is still a possibility, but i dont really want to do it.

SO, the next thing I tried was what I "thought" i knew best. Clean, fresh reinstall. I bought windows 8 pro wayy back last november when it was only 45$, so i redownloaded it, and used the prod key, which MS accepted. Downloaded it onto a USB stick, and tried to install it on the ssd. It came up saying "the product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key".

Does anyone have any experience putting an ssd in a Dell and reinstalling windows?

** For those who say tl;dr heres the short version
240gb ssd, Dell 7520
Windows wont install
WHY

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sold Items:
Steelseries Siberia V2 to MAK
Zalman Fan Controller, OCZ Mem Fan Funguseater

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old October 22, 2013, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you are using the license key off the dell to install from the cd you bought it simply will not work. Dell uses a VLK license and you probably bought OEM Windows.

The OEM windows SHOULD have its own key.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I do have my own windows key, but it stil gives me this popup.

Sold Items:

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old October 22, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocko View Post
I do have my own windows key, but it stil gives me this popup.
And what is the license key off of? Still sounds like a VLK type key.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well basically the Key you got when you bought Windows 8 Pro is used with an OEM copy that you either downloaded or kept a DVD copy of it. If you're using the Windows 8 DVD that Dell gave with, you have to use the CD-key from Dell.

So if your Windows 8 USB installation is from Microsoft's use theirs if it's from Dell's use theirs.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I bought a copy of windows 8 pro, directly from microsoft. I am using their key, which gives me this popup. I do not have a disk from Dell, nor a key code. The only thing from Dell that I have is a useless bootable backup that requires at least 693gb of free space in order to install windows 8 -.-

BS lol

Sold Items:

Old October 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I bought a copy of windows 8 pro, directly from microsoft. I am using their key, which gives me this popup. I do not have a disk from Dell, nor a key code. The only thing from Dell that I have is a useless bootable backup that requires at least 693gb of free space in order to install windows 8 -.-

BS lol
You say your using "their" key. Where did you get the key from?
Old October 22, 2013, 05:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Their key, directly from microsoft... its in my receipt... It is a valid key as well, I called MS, and they told me to install it on a DVD, which didnt work either. I've installed TONS of window 7's, and never had an issue like this. I also tried the PID thing, on my USB, but that still didnt work. I almost want to take it to the tech shop, and see if they can do it. Id love to give them 30$ to get the GD thing working -.- ugh.

Sold Items:

Old October 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Their key, directly from microsoft... its in my receipt... It is a valid key as well, I called MS, and they told me to install it on a DVD, which didnt work either. I've installed TONS of window 7's, and never had an issue like this. I also tried the PID thing, on my USB, but that still didnt work. I almost want to take it to the tech shop, and see if they can do it. Id love to give them 30$ to get the GD thing working -.- ugh.
Well you might want to make sure and verify the key to the version of Windows you bought because something there is simply not right.
Old October 22, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure that when you type in the key that the caps lock isn't on or any spaces it has to be exactly the same.
another thing did you install the OS with out activating it? you should be able to install the OS
here is a quote I found
Quote:
When you go to the screen to improve windows you will be having 2 options:
1: Enter the product key [this is the product key for the feature package ex: media center that you might have purchased from Microsoft and not the windows product key]
2: purchase product key.
You need to select purchase product key and purchase the featured package you need and Microsoft will send you the product key for that.
after the OS is installed then you can use the key you have

Last edited by Shadowmeph; October 22, 2013 at 05:32 PM.