Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 8, ssd and Dell (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/63722-windows-8-ssd-dell.html)

Trocko October 22, 2013 01:14 PM

Windows 8, ssd and Dell
 
Well, heres my story...

I bought a Dell 15r SE 7520 a few weeks ago, and i absolutely love it. All I am missing was an ssd for overall speed. I've ordered a HDD caddy to replace my dvd drive, and ordered a 240gb ssd. I got my ssd today and have since tried to install windows 8 on the ssd... I tried using Dell's backup BS, and it would work, if my ssd was bigger than 693gb. I guess the backup only works with a disk bigger than the disk you backed up ( and my disk only has 180gb used...). I could clone the disk, but i dont need steam on my ssd, or anythign but the OS, chrome and MS office. anyway, cloning is still a possibility, but i dont really want to do it.

SO, the next thing I tried was what I "thought" i knew best. Clean, fresh reinstall. I bought windows 8 pro wayy back last november when it was only 45$, so i redownloaded it, and used the prod key, which MS accepted. Downloaded it onto a USB stick, and tried to install it on the ssd. It came up saying "the product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key".

Does anyone have any experience putting an ssd in a Dell and reinstalling windows?

** For those who say tl;dr heres the short version
240gb ssd, Dell 7520
Windows wont install
WHY

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

enaberif October 22, 2013 01:55 PM

If you are using the license key off the dell to install from the cd you bought it simply will not work. Dell uses a VLK license and you probably bought OEM Windows.

The OEM windows SHOULD have its own key.

Trocko October 22, 2013 02:10 PM

I do have my own windows key, but it stil gives me this popup.

enaberif October 22, 2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trocko (Post 736083)
I do have my own windows key, but it stil gives me this popup.

And what is the license key off of? Still sounds like a VLK type key.

ShinraCorp October 22, 2013 02:31 PM

Well basically the Key you got when you bought Windows 8 Pro is used with an OEM copy that you either downloaded or kept a DVD copy of it. If you're using the Windows 8 DVD that Dell gave with, you have to use the CD-key from Dell.

So if your Windows 8 USB installation is from Microsoft's use theirs if it's from Dell's use theirs.

Trocko October 22, 2013 02:47 PM

I bought a copy of windows 8 pro, directly from microsoft. I am using their key, which gives me this popup. I do not have a disk from Dell, nor a key code. The only thing from Dell that I have is a useless bootable backup that requires at least 693gb of free space in order to install windows 8 -.-

BS lol

enaberif October 22, 2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trocko (Post 736101)
I bought a copy of windows 8 pro, directly from microsoft. I am using their key, which gives me this popup. I do not have a disk from Dell, nor a key code. The only thing from Dell that I have is a useless bootable backup that requires at least 693gb of free space in order to install windows 8 -.-

BS lol

You say your using "their" key. Where did you get the key from?

Trocko October 22, 2013 06:14 PM

Their key, directly from microsoft... its in my receipt... It is a valid key as well, I called MS, and they told me to install it on a DVD, which didnt work either. I've installed TONS of window 7's, and never had an issue like this. I also tried the PID thing, on my USB, but that still didnt work. I almost want to take it to the tech shop, and see if they can do it. Id love to give them 30$ to get the GD thing working -.- ugh.

enaberif October 22, 2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trocko (Post 736136)
Their key, directly from microsoft... its in my receipt... It is a valid key as well, I called MS, and they told me to install it on a DVD, which didnt work either. I've installed TONS of window 7's, and never had an issue like this. I also tried the PID thing, on my USB, but that still didnt work. I almost want to take it to the tech shop, and see if they can do it. Id love to give them 30$ to get the GD thing working -.- ugh.

Well you might want to make sure and verify the key to the version of Windows you bought because something there is simply not right.

Shadowmeph October 22, 2013 06:26 PM

Make sure that when you type in the key that the caps lock isn't on or any spaces it has to be exactly the same.
another thing did you install the OS with out activating it? you should be able to install the OS
here is a quote I found
Quote:

When you go to the screen to improve windows you will be having 2 options:
1: Enter the product key [this is the product key for the feature package ex: media center that you might have purchased from Microsoft and not the windows product key]
2: purchase product key.
You need to select purchase product key and purchase the featured package you need and Microsoft will send you the product key for that.
after the OS is installed then you can use the key you have


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:56 PM.