Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2013, 11:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Windows 8.1 - anyone upgraded yet?

Should I follow my papa's sage advice . . . "if it ain't broke don't fix it", or take a chance and upgrade my OS to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.0???

Who has already taken that plunge?

Is the upgrade going to put a big dint into my allowable bandwidth download allowance for the month?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 17, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well I am trying to load it in Virtual box BUT becasue of this stupid intel CPU I cannot load it getting this error
VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You have to enable visualization in the BIOS.

I just installed the preview, its alright. Had to remove the start button right away though.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post

I just installed the preview, its alright. Had to remove the start button right away though.
I will check but I don't think that this 2500k cpu supports virtualization.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I thought people complained about the missing start button?

I'm staying on Windows 7 like how I stayed on Windows XP for the longest time.
Old October 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

supa has conformed :P
Old October 17, 2013, 12:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

People were complaining about the missing functionality of the start button... Complaining about a specific icon would have been just plain silly..... :-)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 17, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ yeah, the start button does exactly the same as pressing the start key on my keyboard so its a waste of space.
Old October 17, 2013, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
^ yeah, the start button does exactly the same as pressing the start key on my keyboard so its a waste of space.
I agree. After using Windows 8 since launch, when I tried 8.1 I found it to be a step backwards, just making the interface more cluttered for things I no longer needed.

As such, I'll stick with 8.0 for a little while longer, until the next time I need to re-install Windows. Then I'll just have to rip things out of 8.1 to bring it back to 8.0
Old October 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I took the plunge on my laptop (Dell XPS 14 L21x), upgrading right over the Dell-branded Windows 8 Pro. To add to the fun, I kept Bitlocker on for my primary drive during the upgrade.

The download was the most troublesome thing, because Windows has to acknowledge an Internet connection for Windows Store to work, so that was chaos with my school's VPN. I instead downloaded on Wi-Fi, and after one of the failures of the Wi-Fi, I had to clear the Windows Store cache to retry: Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

When it finally managed to download over the buggy Wi-Fi, the install was relatively painless. EDIT: Note the download was over 3 GiB, hence doing it at school instead of at home. It was the usual service pack thing and its >5 restarts, with the only prompt being initial prompt to restart the computer. The install took around 30 minutes on a lazy 5400RPM 7mm thick drive. Windows 8.1 gave me all the initialization prompts all over again to let me choose how much phoning home and privacy invasion the touch apps are allowed to give, and I was back to having a working computer.
There were a few interesting things that happened with my apps and drivers:
  • The upgrader automatically uninstalled Avast! Free 2013 (a very clean uninstall from the looks of it)
  • My Intel Bluetooth now uses a generic Bluetooth driver (still detects other devices but wouldn't know about the performance)
  • The update killed my Cisco VPN app (which wasn't compatible with the original Windows 8, so I don't quite blame it)
  • The desktop version of Skydrive disappeared automatically (I guess this was integrated into the touch version)
  • Upon reboot, there was a little message at the bottom right corner of the screen complaining about Secure Boot. It wasn't a popup or anything - it was actually on the desktop like when you have a development or preview build of Windows. It disappeared when I turned Secure Boot on though.
Other than those quirks, I was able to install some newer versions of video card drivers and do some basic MS Office stuff. As for Avast, I installed Avast 2014 free with no issues.

I'll hold off doing the same upgrade for my main rig until one of the sandbox apps (Comodo or Sandboxie) report full support with Windows 8.1.