Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2013, 06:19 AM
MVP

Well, I'm not sure what the particular difference is between a touchpad and a touch screen - laptop touchpads do Win8 edge gestures, multitouch scroll, pinch-to-zoom, etc.

It just had problems with all of them, it wasn't a single glaring issue. Edge gestures don't work 100% of the time, and toggle unintentionally more than 0% of the time, so those quickly get disabled.

Most of the multitouch gestures are either similarly finnicky, or not things I ever need. (I never need to show desktop, four-finger swipe to show start menu is slower than just hitting the windows key, etc.) Swipe to snap windows is probably the most useful one, especially on multimonitor displays as the only way to do that with m/kb is windows+arrow keys.

Most disappointing thing is scrolling - a touchpad should be awesome for this, but the latency is too high and movement isn't as smooth as you get with Mac OS touchpads or IE touchscreen, so you never feel like you have your fingers directly on the document/page/whatever.

I think the touchpad idea could be good if they fixed the multitouch reliability and latency issues and worked on the kinetic scrolling feeling. Logitech includes smooth-scrolling plugins for Chrome/IE/Firefox with their driver install, which helps, but still not as good as touch IE or Mac OS.

YMMV depending on how much you like regular touchpads - I just tried scrolling around this page with the Synaptics pad on my HP laptop, and it felt similarly awful to me.
Old November 7, 2013, 06:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Well, I'm not sure what the particular difference is between a touchpad and a touch screen - laptop touchpads do Win8 edge gestures, multitouch scroll, pinch-to-zoom, etc.

It just had problems with all of them, it wasn't a single glaring issue. Edge gestures don't work 100% of the time, and toggle unintentionally more than 0% of the time, so those quickly get disabled.

Most of the multitouch gestures are either similarly finnicky, or not things I ever need. (I never need to show desktop, four-finger swipe to show start menu is slower than just hitting the windows key, etc.) Swipe to snap windows is probably the most useful one, especially on multimonitor displays as the only way to do that with m/kb is windows+arrow keys.

Most disappointing thing is scrolling - a touchpad should be awesome for this, but the latency is too high and movement isn't as smooth as you get with Mac OS touchpads or IE touchscreen, so you never feel like you have your fingers directly on the document/page/whatever.

I think the touchpad idea could be good if they fixed the multitouch reliability and latency issues and worked on the kinetic scrolling feeling. Logitech includes smooth-scrolling plugins for Chrome/IE/Firefox with their driver install, which helps, but still not as good as touch IE or Mac OS.

YMMV depending on how much you like regular touchpads - I just tried scrolling around this page with the Synaptics pad on my HP laptop, and it felt similarly awful to me.
The easiest example of what I'd consider to be the difference would be how touching the surface affects the mouse cursor.....

On a touch pad, touching the surface doesn't affect the position of the cursor in relation to where you touched, whereas on a touchscreen if you touch it in the upper R/H corner the cursor will now be under your finger. A touch pad just mimics the actions of the mouse "ball" with finger movements taking the place of mouse movements.

edit: Now that I think of it, the kind of cursor behavior I described might explain why things like edge gestures don't work properly.... on a touchpad the cursor isn't at the edge of the screen until you actually move it there regardless of where you initially start on the touchpad whereas if you touch the edge of a touch screen, that's where the cursor is.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; November 7, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old November 7, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

isn't a touch pad similar to a wacom bamboo pads use with one of those pens? I bought one of those never really used it not sure why I even bought it in the first place. not sure what to even use it for.
I actually installed win8.1 onto my laptop it was modded though removed all of the store crap not that I will be keeping it ( the oS) but I just wated to see what it would be like with out the store and metro things I really don't like in the new windows. I mean why would they want to force oyou to signup for a microsoft account then force you to sign in at boot that is totally stupid and to me an invasio of my privacy they get enough information about me from just updating .
Old November 7, 2013, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
isn't a touch pad similar to a wacom bamboo pads use with one of those pens? I bought one of those never really used it not sure why I even bought it in the first place. not sure what to even use it for.
I actually installed win8.1 onto my laptop it was modded though removed all of the store crap not that I will be keeping it ( the oS) but I just wated to see what it would be like with out the store and metro things I really don't like in the new windows. I mean why would they want to force oyou to signup for a microsoft account then force you to sign in at boot that is totally stupid and to me an invasio of my privacy they get enough information about me from just updating .
There apparently is a way to create a local account to install rather than registering for a Microsoft account. They just don't make it easy to find.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 7, 2013, 03:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Win 8 MS Account Issues

A quick google of WIndows 8 Microsoft Account Log In shows several articles like this one:

Hidden Danger of Windows 8 MS Accounts

Use Local Account Instead

Where they write: "...this can be very dangerous if someone gains unauthorized access to your Live account. To avoid this situation, many users may want to use a local account instead ..."

Things to make you go "hmmmm".

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 7, 2013, 03:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Wacom Tablet and Win8 Jestures

I really want to check this out but left my Wacom Tablet at my daughters at Thanksgiving, won't be back to pick it up until Christmas - but in the new year I want to see if I can master the finger swiping skills. I did try it already and it seems to work - I'm just no good at it and didn't put the effort into developing the skills.

I have the Capture model which does support gestures.

But trying did give me some patience and understanding when trying to teach my 80 something year old Mom about using a mouse. :)

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 7, 2013, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Tried 8 when the preview was out, switched to 7 in 15 mins. Don't feel the need/itch for 8 or 8.1 yet

Last edited by Rockfella; November 11, 2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old November 7, 2013, 09:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The easiest example of what I'd consider to be the difference would be how touching the surface affects the mouse cursor.....

On a touch pad, touching the surface doesn't affect the position of the cursor in relation to where you touched, whereas on a touchscreen if you touch it in the upper R/H corner the cursor will now be under your finger. A touch pad just mimics the actions of the mouse "ball" with finger movements taking the place of mouse movements.

edit: Now that I think of it, the kind of cursor behavior I described might explain why things like edge gestures don't work properly.... on a touchpad the cursor isn't at the edge of the screen until you actually move it there regardless of where you initially start on the touchpad whereas if you touch the edge of a touch screen, that's where the cursor is.
Ah, I get you - I don't think there's much of a market for a touchpad that has cursor positioning like a touchscreen, I've done basically that by setting up a Surface tablet with an external monitor, and while sensitivity for everything is bang on, it's impossible to hit anything even remotely accurately while you're looking at the external monitor, since you have to estimate relative screen position based on where your hand is.
Old November 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
That's a given purely on Microsoft's plan for rapid OS releases. Windows 9 may be here this time next year.

Personally, I've noticed an upward trend in the acceptance of Windows 8.1 lately. A lot of people seem tired of being mad about the start menu.
that's what I see too.

but those bastards vomited on my taskbar before bending over and dying. :(
Old November 10, 2013, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
That's a given purely on Microsoft's plan for rapid OS releases. Windows 9 may be here this time next year.

Personally, I've noticed an upward trend in the acceptance of Windows 8.1 lately. A lot of people seem tired of being mad about the start menu.
The only reason this trend exists is simply because new computers are coming Windows 8 pre-installed and people just get "used" to it. People who buy these particular systems are your mom and dads who really don't care and just want something to use.

Also AIO systems are becoming more and more popular in the household as well and thus another reason why Windows 8 is trending.

Its not trending because people are running Windows 7 and thinking "Hey lets upgrade"