Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The download tool should allow you to produce an ISO as well that is found here: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help
Someone would have to confirm, but judging by the text on that page this will only work if you're upgrading from windows 7 and/or the win8 preview. Those with windows 8 already installed are informed to go to the windows store thus no ISO......

Quote:
Make sure you’re on the PC you want to upgrade. If you're updating to Windows 8.1, this PC must be running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Preview. If you already have the latest version of Windows 8 installed on your PC, you can update to Windows 8.1 in the Windows Store for free.

If you're upgrading to Windows 8, this PC must be running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows Developer Preview.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 19, 2013, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Someone would have to confirm, but judging by the text on that page this will only work if you're upgrading from windows 7 and/or the win8 preview. Those with windows 8 already installed are informed to go to the windows store thus no ISO......
People have claimed success with that tool, though with a slightly convoluted process:
  1. Download both the 8.0 and 8.1 installers
  2. Launch the 8.0 installer [Windows8-Setup.exe]
  3. Enter your key for 8.0 and begin downloading
  4. Immediately pause your download at 1% (don't quit at the estimating time screen), then exit
  5. Launch your 8.1 installer [WindowsSetupBox.exe]
  6. You'll get an error saying element can't be found or something like that, you're ok - just close out
  7. Re-launch WindowsSetupBox.exe
  8. ???
  9. You're downloading 8.1

YMMV obviously but no harm in trying!
Old October 20, 2013, 09:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I should get around to moving to Win 8.1, enjoyed using it at work much more over 8.0 though I am a tad bit lazy and never quite enjoy upgrades even if it's a service pack...
Old October 20, 2013, 05:08 PM
Trial Member

Hope you have more success than me. Some people, including me, have been having tons of trouble upgrading to 8.1. I'm at the point of just giving up. Every time after the restart, it gets stuck at 82-84% setting up the pc, even after hours. End up having to restore it back to 8.
Old October 20, 2013, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I ran the dev preview months ago just to see, I don't notice any real changes to be honest. I do like the new folder view when you pull up an explorer window, having libraries and drives in one location is just convenient.

I did a clean install 8.0 on a laptop over the weekend followed by the 8.1 upgrade and had no issues there which is to be expected with a clean install

I haven't upgraded my desktop yet because I made the mistake of removing the store app.
Old October 22, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandry View Post
Hope you have more success than me. Some people, including me, have been having tons of trouble upgrading to 8.1. I'm at the point of just giving up. Every time after the restart, it gets stuck at 82-84% setting up the pc, even after hours. End up having to restore it back to 8.
Had the same issue but I thought I didnt leave it long enough so I rebooted. Restore worked once, tried update again. Failed. Restore wouldn't work, I just got back into windows after rebooting a ton of times somehow. 0/10 would not upgrade again.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Boot Times

I fear my upgrade has resulted in longer boot times but I had not timed previous boot time to compare just seems lots longer.

Time my boot today.

35 seconds from pushing the on button until my dual boot screen appears (I use the original legacy screen not the Windows 8 fancy one, that one takes longer to load and then if you go for Windows 7 it reboots all over again).

Then two full minutes before my log in screen appears for Windows 8

Almost instant from the time I enter my log in to Windows 8 opening, then all my stuff loads up (e.g. keyboard macros are loading, G13 Loads, MSI Afterburner loads, ASUS Ai Suite Loads, Desktop gadgets, Hyper Grid etc etc.). Thought of disabling some of these but I want them all loaded.

Is this slow or normal?

I'm booting from an SSD.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have been testing a modded windows 8.1 and I have to say that it is pretty fast on my AMD system which only has 4gb ram been playing SWTOR with my old nvid 285GTX video card no hicups at all of course this isn't activated
Old November 1, 2013, 08:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Gotta say my wife enjoys the touch interface on the new V5 Aspire lappy she got, took me 3 tries but the third update to 8.1 finished successfully in the app store. Neither one of us use the start menu so that's not a problem, just have to disable Candy Crush without her noticing... "I don't know dear, it must be incompatible with win8" ;) When our Leap Motion arrives I am going to compare its effectiveness/ease in win8.1 vs custom Rain touch theme for 7 lotsa fun.

I have no complaints with 8.1 so far.
Fungi
I am lost I can't even remember my name.

Old November 1, 2013, 07:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Slow Boot Times - not Win8.1 but eSata Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I fear my upgrade has resulted in longer boot times but I had not timed previous boot time to compare just seems lots longer.

It was about 30 seconds from push button to my dual boot OS menu comes up, then two full minutes to get to the log in screen.

Tried cleaning the registry, disabling any unnecessary start ups, defrag, etc on the software end, all to no effect.

Then read that USB devices might slow things down so I unplugged all my devices and then one at a time I rebooted with them plugged in. All to no effect still took two minutes.

Then unplugged a 750 external eSata hard drive - that was it. From two minutes to less than 30 seconds. AND when I plugged in the eSata cable it did not read it. I had to unplug the power to that external drive (has its own power supply) and then restart the drive, then it worked. And then when I rebooted with it plugged in, system booted in just under 30 seconds.

All is well now. Nothing to do with Windows 8.1 at all. I leave that external drive powered on all the time (it makes for a nice night light, glows orange).

I also discovered something really interesting (well OK mildly interesting). When testing each USB item I decided to power down at the log in screen instead of logging in and then waiting to power down. This I learned, if booting to Win8, causes the dual-OS screen to revert from the Legacy version I prefer to the new Metro Win8 menu. Upside - if you use Win8 most of the time Win8 boots really fast from that menu - downside if you chose Win7 the system totally reboots back to the bios and reposts before starting to load Win7 so that takes longer.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig