Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

decided to give it a go.
One hour and fifteen minutes in and I am 8% downloaded - this is going to take some time . . . .

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 18, 2013, 08:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
decided to give it a go.
One hour and fifteen minutes in and I am 8% downloaded - this is going to take some time . . . .
Apparently it's a 3.5G dl and unless you've got enterprise volume licenses it sounds like each individual PC will have to DL that through the windows store. Microsoft isn't planning on releasing a public ISO to allow individuals to manually install the update/upgrade.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Coming up to five hours, now at 40% - should be done by Breakfast!

I know I have a slow internet connection but this is ridiculous.

I'm using BitMeter to track my downloads so I don't exceed my 60GB monthly limit - I'm on day seven of my month and had downloaded 10 GB today according to my ISP. He gave me a URL to see my usage tried it but it never moved past "calculating" even after leaving "calculating" for half hour. So I decided to track downloads using this BitMeter. Anyway, BitMeter tells me my average speed on this download is 55 kb/s My average download is between 3 and 4 MB/s. What's up with this???

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 18, 2013, 10:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Decided to play a little GRID - and wouldn't you know it the dang system rebooted. Have had that happen from time to time but usually when I'm pushing my graphic cards or APU, everything was a stock?? It happens I guess. Maybe Win 8.1 will be more stable? One can home. Anyway, Windows 8 SEEMS to have resumed the download, now I have to worry that my files will be corrupt.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 19, 2013, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

So, I upgraded as well. My thoughts on the new version are mostly the same as the last, regarding the non-touch interface. Two universes, one PC, and nothing that really blends them together.

I found myself wishing that you could split-window the desktop and the start menu. I think that would help integration a bit too. But as it is, it sucks because there are two 'windows' when things are split in the metro interface - and you have to click to activate things like scrolling within those windows, it doesn't become live under the mouse. Bah. It's little things like that that miss the mark. Also, does the split bar need to be so damn thick?!

Universal search is nice though. I'm going to hold off on installing a start menu replacement for a little while and see how I like using this 'new' start, for now.
Old October 19, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I installed it quite some time ago, when it was just a preview, for a customer at his request, on a laptop with resources for Win XP, Celeron 1.8 GHz with Ati Express 200 and 1GB of RAM. While it worked quite of for a few months the customer didn`t really like it. Me I am staying on Windows 7 Ultimate, I have no intention of moving to Win8 or 8.1 I hate that interface too much.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Apparently it's a 3.5G dl and unless you've got enterprise volume licenses it sounds like each individual PC will have to DL that through the windows store. Microsoft isn't planning on releasing a public ISO to allow individuals to manually install the update/upgrade.
The download tool should allow you to produce an ISO as well that is found here: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help
Old October 19, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I installed it quite some time ago, when it was just a preview, for a customer at his request, on a laptop with resources for Win XP, Celeron 1.8 GHz with Ati Express 200 and 1GB of RAM. While it worked quite of for a few months the customer didn't really like it. Me I am staying on Windows 7 Ultimate, I have no intention of moving to Win8 or 8.1 I hate that interface too much.
Really win6 can run o that older hardware? if this is true then actually that is a pretty good thing accept for things like dx becasue allot of the older hardware doesn't support the new DX.
I just set up the system to boot to desktop then malke a pile of shortcuts there it takes a while to get used to not having a starty button and even when I did I still used the shortcut on my task bar and desktop.
the things I don't like is the store and all of the other crap things I would never use and also not having a shortcut for my computer on the desktop allot of little things that irc me but I can get used to it. Now that being said I still like windows 7 and Linux Better. I think they should have the OS with the Advanced setup where you can pick and chose what you actually want on your system and not be like some places like Dell where they automatically install crap all over the place which in the new win8 is hard to find and turn off or remove.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Windows 7 was running on an P4 Willamette pretty smoothly, with onboard video. No aero, but it was perfectly functional.

I think, regarding my previous post, that I wish that the start menu was more of a status page, where all these apps you can download (or the built in ones) can be arranged into tiles for a quick glance at critical information. Stocks, E-mail, Calendar events, FAcebook and Twitter updates, etc.

Another thought I had was that Metro wouldn't be amazingly terrible if there was a permanent way to keep a status (task) bar visible, instead of having to mouse to a corner of the screen. All that you would technically lose is desktop file storage space.

Anyways, I already re-installed classic start. :P
Old October 19, 2013, 11:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Up and Running 8.1

Well it was downloaded by Breakfast.
Took the next few hours to get everything functional again.
It took out my USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard.
Little googling turned up solution - seems ASUS's Suite USB Boost is incompatible and prevents the root drivers from loading or something to that effect, anyway, uninstall the Suite, USB ports work again. Reinstall but deselect USB Boost and it works, but had to reconfigure the Suite programs like my motherboard fan controller. (I do notice that I get a warning that my top fans are 0 RPM from time to time - odd - seem to be running when I put my hand over the vents - and they come back up to speed within a few moments - odd eh?).

I also updated my chipset from ASUS (one of my inital efforts to get the USB ports working properly). This upgrade went OK but it broke a fix. Before the chipset update when I rebooted Win8.1 my third screen actually came back on with a reboot. It was turned off and I had to manually push the on button on the screen three times. Great 8.1 was good for something. Then once I got the Chipset update done and ASUS Ai Suite reinstalled, upon reboot that dang screen refuses to come back to life. Odd, if I choose shut down and then restart by pushing the PC on button the screen comes back on, it is only Win8's reboot that has this problem (works fine in Win7 - but have not updated the chipset on the Win7 side).

I tried the new Facebook app - meh - Win8 is not three screen friendly - I like to be able to centre the app onto my main screen for much of my work and not spread it out over 54" of display.

Playing around with the tiles - nice touch to give a little more control to the user - but still got a long way to go.

As for performance? Meh? Certainly no slower - can't say if it is faster. And the start button - how is that any different the previous option to press windows key and go to the metro screen - or go to the corner and click - just a gimmick so they can say, see we listened to the people eh?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig