Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the thing I hate about win 8 is they added so much crap like facebook and things that I will never ever use.
I surf the web ( with any other browser then ie) check my emails with my own email client , game, sometimes edit docs print docs play around with other OS ( well not with this system stupid intel processor doesn't support virtual stuff) . I probably spend the same amount of time after a fresh install turning off things for the first week then actually getting things done. hehe
Old October 17, 2013, 09:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yes, I did the upgrade early this morning, took close to 1hr..not sure why. Knocked out a few things, installed Nvidia HD sound drivers and enable 3D, lost comparability with the Roland usb keyboards( had to go back to traditional Midi, which is fine , better sound)
Overall I like it, it seems snappier.
Of course the cons are this " Facebook" integration and " social networks" junk I don't or will ever use.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Been running the 8.1 RTM for nearly a month now [yea, Microsoft partner ]. The original RTM version (one I'm running) didn't allow in place upgrade from 8.0...so you're on your own there. I had to do clean installs on my system. As for the start menu, it hasn't been needed since windows 7 came out with jump lists and unified search.

I really feel sorry for the guys who have to do an windows store upgrade....I should think the enterprise guys will be able to use WSUS or Config manager to push it out. Still to play with that tho, so not sure if/how it works.

My experience has been 100% positive. Everything worked out of the box. Lappy (main system) seems a bit faster and all the small issues i had with 8.0 (mostly sleep/power related) seems to have been fixed.

Now if you insist on a start menu for whatever bewildering reason:

Name:  8.1 start menu.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  72.3 KB
Old October 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I must confess I am a facebooker (I have family all over the globe so we keep in touch through fb) so i'm interested in all this talk of facebook on 8.1. I'll have to see.

I do have an reboot issue with 8.0. Unlike my Win7 side of my dual-boot my Win8 side turns off one of my three screens when it reboots. I have to manually press the on switch three times to get it back. A pain when loading stuff that insists on reboots. It does not happen if I turn it off and then on again, only on restart, and only in Win8, Win7 reboots the same hardware without issue. So maybe Win8.1 will fix this. ??

As for the start button, was it gone? :P I don't miss it.

I have to get around to learning how to do all that swipe stuff - my Wacom tablet will let me control my Win 8 screen with my fingers - I just have not mastered it. Still prefer the mouse.

I wonder what I'll have to reinstall - we don't have to reinstall all the programs do we? I hope not. I can't afford the bandwidth draw on my internet use. I still have to select my AMD bonus games (3) and I just bought Batman Arkham City and Asylum on Origins sale today so lots to download.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 18, 2013, 02:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

8.1 is Microsoft's new Service pack, theres no real reason not to if you are running win8. Its mostly just start button plus the 50/50 screen split for metro apps. nothing ground breaking.

And facebook is just an app, which looks an awful lot like the website.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you have to appreciate Microsoft's sense of humor with 8.1. here's your start button back! oh oopsie, it just sends you back to the modern ui.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
8.1 is Microsoft's new Service pack, theres no real reason not to if you are running win8. Its mostly just start button plus the 50/50 screen split for metro apps. nothing ground breaking.

And facebook is just an app, which looks an awful lot like the website.
LOL 8.1 is NOT a service pack.

Its an additional .1 of a number to appease people by making them think a start menu was implemented.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Just updated Windows RT on a Lenovo Yoga 11 tablet. Performance wise the difference is absolutely noticeable.

The biggest difference for me is in IE. The browser is just so much smoother than the crap performance it was before where browsing any site felt clunky and laggy to me. Also being able to finally use the browser in a portrait tablet view is nice.

The start button is mostly useless as stated above. Not even sure what the point is lol. I haven't upgraded my desktop yet but I'd only do it for the update to IE and the extra sizes for tiles (my start screen is pretty saturated).
Old October 18, 2013, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
Been running the 8.1 RTM for nearly a month now [yea, Microsoft partner ]. The original RTM version (one I'm running) didn't allow in place upgrade from 8.0...so you're on your own there. I had to do clean installs on my system. As for the start menu, it hasn't been needed since windows 7 came out with jump lists and unified search.

I really feel sorry for the guys who have to do an windows store upgrade....I should think the enterprise guys will be able to use WSUS or Config manager to push it out. Still to play with that tho, so not sure if/how it works.

My experience has been 100% positive. Everything worked out of the box. Lappy (main system) seems a bit faster and all the small issues i had with 8.0 (mostly sleep/power related) seems to have been fixed.

Now if you insist on a start menu for whatever bewildering reason:

Attachment 20526
See... this is why there is still so much animosity when it comes to those who like win8 and those who don't.....

You don't see the win8 haters suggesting that those who like the OS are idiots, yet that's how those who like it want to portray those of us who refuse to accept a tablet OS kludged onto our desktops.

As far as the suggestion goes... I'd love to see that in action but couldn't be bothered re-installing win8 just to see if it replicates the hierarchical layout of my preferred start menu.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; October 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old October 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

"we failed to update to 8.1", restored to "previous version"

Can't upgrade, getting this error after installation and before login

0xc1900101 - 0x40019