Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2013, 06:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Forceware 162.65 WHQL display settings gone?!

For the second time on a fresh Windows 2000 SP4 install I tried install the Forceware 162.65 WHQL drivers. (Opteron 148, PNY 8600 GT - so the older drivers the better) The drivers itself work well, no question about it, however the settings are GONE FOREVER if I disable the icon in the taskbar.

I don't need and want to the icon be there, so I always disable it. And then the display options miss all the whole settings...!!!

And no, no way in hell clicking on the button bring them back. Nothing happens when I click on the button! It is just not working anymore!

Drivers continue to work:

...but I can't change the settings at all! This is very flustrating. Anyone know about some older good drivers that can handle 8600 GT and do work, instead of these WHQL fails...?

Or is there a way to fix this???
Old November 20, 2013, 08:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Don't know if you've solved this or not. Seems as though Nvidia Control Panel works from the system tray icon, but not from the button in Display properties.

Should be able to make a shortcut or run it from the Command line.
"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe"

Other option is to check your registry. It's missing the link to know what that button is suppose to trigger, thus it clicks and does nothing.
Old November 20, 2013, 02:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Talking

No, actually, the nVidia control pannel works from both places. But ONLY as long, as the tray icon are there...! If I close it, then by by nVidia CLP. It will never run. Ever. Period.

One guy at Guro3D forum even remember this nasty bug. But... I have a solution!

First at all, I started to use the Forceware 162.67 (since the WHQL 162.65 is obviously buggy) - and then I did not even touch the icon. What I did, was to end in the services the nVidia help service (from auto to manual for starting it) and then in StartupControlPannel I deleted all the nVidia added crap. On reboot, then icon was gone and the control panel still worked, when I click on it, then these prefs appear!

Hoooray!

...now why my POV 8600GT slow down to 1 frame per 10 sec after several hours of Quake 2 demo... (let's hope for just bad cooling spot, lol... caps are already exchanged on the little small cardie...)