Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Best free AV and firewalls?

Something I've not kept up with the last few years is anti-virus and firewalls (had a router doing my firewall and been happy with AVG till reasonably recently and too lazy to look up since it's started to bloat / annoy me)

So, what are your suggestions for good free anti-viruses and software fire-walls?

Any links to reviews would be good too. :)

Looking for security and stability over everything but light weight and fast are high on the list too. Doesn't need to be too complicated (the more plug and play the better) as I'm only looking for reasonable protection.. Don't want anything silly to happen / script kiddies etc but as you all know, if someone really wants in and knows what they are doing then they will get in.

So yea.. thanks for any input.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 11, 2013, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I always used avira with good results, but I got annoyed with ads. I have been using MSE for a year now and honestly can't complain at all.
Old October 11, 2013, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Software firewalls are junk.
Mse for av unless you run Windows 8
Old October 11, 2013, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

I personally dont use any software firewalls, but as far as AV's are concerned, Malware Anti-Bytes and Super-Anti-Spyware are my go-to scanners.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unfortunately I'm stuck with a direct connection to a cable modem for the moment so I'd prefer a software firewall over nothing at all.

I have heard MSE is quite good, but not tried yet.

Old October 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

MSE isn't top dog, but it has the benefit of being part and parcel of Microsoft's automatic updates so there's one less layer of admin required to keep it up to date.

As far as the direct connect goes.... can't come up with even a little bit of cash for a router to put between yourself and the cable modem? Software firewalls are a major PITA to work with (in a home setting, enterprise it's just the cost of doing business) unless you're turning off the majority of settings which makes their use moot.....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 11, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Software firewalls are junk.
Mse for av unless you run Windows 8
the only software firewall I ever liked was the onl seagate firewall it used very little resources and I could update all of the lists . but in reality I agree with enaberif.
I used to use an old PC running smoothwall that was the best and very secure a bit of a hassle to get up and running with the addons like AV and such I wanted to build anotherone but with this new shaw router I am to lazy to call them up so that I can just use the stupid thing as the modem.
I think it is BrainEater that has built a hardware firewall ( I don't remember which program he used but it wasn't smoothwalll) which I would love to do if I had the room and also could find some decent wifi card so that I could transmit a wireless signal but I am .

As for antivirus I haven't used one in a very long time but I do have the combo fix on a usb stick just incase.

the reason why I don't have one installed is because if you do get infected it is more then likely that your AV will not work.

you just need to be careful on what you let onto your system.

the funny thing is my system got infected more times when I was using AV or the like.
I do run a scan once a week over night just to see if anything is on my system but I haven't been infected for a while now juts keep updating your security updates for all of your software and your OS and you should be ok
Old October 11, 2013, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Unfortunately I'm stuck with a direct connection to a cable modem for the moment so I'd prefer a software firewall over nothing at all.

I have heard MSE is quite good, but not tried yet.
A router is like $50 these days. A trip to your computer shop will be like $160 minimum.. Small price for the long run.
Old October 11, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

MSE is all you need. I surf where I shouldn't quite carelessly at times, I just make sure to run a full scan atleast weekly.
Old October 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea, planning on a wireless router for my laptop and mobile stuffs soon(hopefully before x-mass) but in the mean-time. :)

Tried MSE, so far so good. lightweight and pretty quick with no ads or bloat.. coolio :)