Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

this might some dumb to some of yas but. Microsoft Security Essentials - Free. Malwarebytes also free. And neither bloat. You can buy the pro version of Malwarebytes for cheap.

MSE for the regular stuff. Malwarebytes finds the shitty webpages faster so ya don't get caught with your pants down (no pun intended)
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

MSE lately has been ranked pretty low as far as virus detection and what not goes.

Microsoft has basically come out saying it is only basic protection for experienced users. They suggest you buy a proper security suite for the less savvy people as MSE really isn't enough protection.

If you need firewall and antivirus, I think Comodo would be worth looking at. Not sure who else offers free firewall and antivirus in one anymore beyond them.
Old October 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using a whole bunch of different stuff around the house, mainly for experimentation. The rest of my family uses MSE, and so far the only threat I've obviously seen was one of them getting taken over by a fake AV - not sure if anything could stop that.

Avast! Free has been pretty good on my laptop - to keep the ads down, I turn off sounds (which are extremely annoying) and set the duration for all informational popups to 1 second. It did a good job killing malicious links on random eBay pages.

I use Comodo Internet Security on my main rig, mainly to have the sandboxed Comodo Dragon browser as my "researching" browser. It's definitely a program for the more savvy, because its interface always provides a lot of options that many users probably don't know about. The firewall doesn't do much for me (I'm behind a router and don't use particularly strange apps). I'm fine with online gaming with TeamSpeak 3 through that firewall without having to configure it. The auto-sandbox keeps trapping Folding@Home, which is my major grudge against Comodo.

I can't say much about any of them in terms of performance, because that's probably cancelled by SSDs and having much more CPU than needed for normal tasks.
Old October 22, 2013, 12:25 AM
Rookie

I used to use Avast!
Old June 20, 2015, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Giving this a bump. I've had a few friends contact me over the last 6-8 weeks with Malware/Adware/Spyware and newer virus problems. Its been a while since I've heard much about 'the best' programs for this. I still run just MSE on my computer...but savvy people can get by with no virus protection really.

What are the beavers using for their friends to help protect (and more importantly) remove problems?
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 20, 2015, 10:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I do an anti-malwarebytes run once every few months to be on the safe side, but usually on have windows defender/mse going (whatever it's called in 8.1) now.

AMB seems to do a decent job, but like other programs the installer now comes with sleaze built in if you're not careful (I think, it's been a while since I've fresh installed it).
Old June 20, 2015, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use Avast at home and on my phones. Mainly because I can keep track of all the devices from a single login.

We still use Forefront (MSE for enterprise) at work and frankly it is subpar. Therefore I am always having to use things to clean up. The main program for that is Malwarebytes, free version without the always on trial. Aside from that it does depend on what they have gotten, but a couple others I use are Roguekiller and AdwCleaner. Also from there I sometimes use RKill, it helps shut down known malware and then lets other AV/Malware removal to run and remove the infection.

As for when I see people saying how they don't use any and don't need to because they know what they are doing, I say you're crazy. In this day and age you can get infected on legit sites due to ads being infected as well as countless other ways. Plus, even more importantly, i you don't use anything, how do you know you are not infected? There are tons of malware/trojans out there that run without you noticing something is wrong and those are usually some of the worst as they are attempting to skim your information and passwords.

Old June 24, 2015, 08:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Free ones have a catch. For those who just do email and Facebook MSSE(Defender) is my go-to still due to lack of hassle. Avast for those who are cheap but riskier. Avast requires registration yearly which is a bummer. Avira is also decent but provides pop-ups often.

For paid I sell and recommend Bitdefender. If you have a Canada Computers near you...you can get 1 year 1 PC OEM keys for like 8.99 full price but the sales put it down to like 6.99. They are behind the counter at the cash last time I looked. Run Malwarebytes every once in awhile, use an ad-blocker, use Firefox or Chrome, and keep EVERYTHING up to date! Java(uninstall unless you actually use it), Flash, Office, Windows...EVERYTHING! https://patchmypc.net/ has you covered here.

ipaine's advice is good but make sure you know what you're doing (and removing). I use those tools(rkill, roguekiller, adwc) for virus removals as well.
Old June 24, 2015, 09:02 AM
Rookie

I've been using the free version of BitDefender for quite a while. It's fast and never bothered with anything. It mostly does its thing in the background and I don't even really notice its there. I'm not sure if it's the best one out there though, but seems to be fairly highly rated for the free ones out there. You have to create an account with them within the first 30 days though.
Old June 25, 2015, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

i dont use any software for years... should i be panic? no... just be smart and know what to not share/touch... only you should be panic of keyloggers and another spy-wares...

btw MSE is not top dog anymore like 5 years ago... but better than nothing...
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
BYE: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.