Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

this might some dumb to some of yas but. Microsoft Security Essentials - Free. Malwarebytes also free. And neither bloat. You can buy the pro version of Malwarebytes for cheap.

MSE for the regular stuff. Malwarebytes finds the shitty webpages faster so ya don't get caught with your pants down (no pun intended)
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

MSE lately has been ranked pretty low as far as virus detection and what not goes.

Microsoft has basically come out saying it is only basic protection for experienced users. They suggest you buy a proper security suite for the less savvy people as MSE really isn't enough protection.

If you need firewall and antivirus, I think Comodo would be worth looking at. Not sure who else offers free firewall and antivirus in one anymore beyond them.
Old October 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using a whole bunch of different stuff around the house, mainly for experimentation. The rest of my family uses MSE, and so far the only threat I've obviously seen was one of them getting taken over by a fake AV - not sure if anything could stop that.

Avast! Free has been pretty good on my laptop - to keep the ads down, I turn off sounds (which are extremely annoying) and set the duration for all informational popups to 1 second. It did a good job killing malicious links on random eBay pages.

I use Comodo Internet Security on my main rig, mainly to have the sandboxed Comodo Dragon browser as my "researching" browser. It's definitely a program for the more savvy, because its interface always provides a lot of options that many users probably don't know about. The firewall doesn't do much for me (I'm behind a router and don't use particularly strange apps). I'm fine with online gaming with TeamSpeak 3 through that firewall without having to configure it. The auto-sandbox keeps trapping Folding@Home, which is my major grudge against Comodo.

I can't say much about any of them in terms of performance, because that's probably cancelled by SSDs and having much more CPU than needed for normal tasks.
Old October 22, 2013, 12:25 AM
Rookie

I used to use Avast!