Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   And A Programmer Asked; What would Jesus Do? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/63321-programmer-asked-what-would-jesus-do.html)

Luay79 September 24, 2013 01:17 AM

And A Programmer Asked; What would Jesus Do?

This!

The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
SteamOS

1) We are unproductive PC users. We are gamers. At least I am. Paying a hefty price for an OS that I won't use productively is unfair. This OS is FREE. $100 saved. There's more..

2) Members of the same network can share the same copy of the game. Any steam user can have access to another's library. How much $ saved? My unborn children will have an education and I promised my wife we will own a home instead of renting one after this announcement. Now I have to find friends who buy lots of games.

3) Here's the techy part we all love to talk about; Optimization >> reductions in input latency at the operating system level >> "Significant" increases in performance in Graphics and sound. No money saved but value has increased $$$$

4) Open source is what will create unity between the desktop, mobile and living room. :"You like my 80 inch 4K TV? Pull out your smart phone and give it a spin with your favorite game!"

There's more info coming from steam in the next day or two so I'll post them later, and please let us hear what other advantages you think we'll get from this.

Luay79 September 24, 2013 01:55 AM

5) This one is for the hardware enthusiasts; PC gaming will increase, possibly rivaling console gaming. Newcomers, previously console gamers, will probably buy a steambox the first time, but the second time and after getting acquainted with us PC builders, interest in the hardware world and PC bulding will be generated more than ever before. At the very least, forecasters of the death of PC gaming and sales of hardware components' can eat their words.

IRQ Conflict September 24, 2013 02:56 AM

One question. Drivers?

It's a nice dream but Devs haven't exactly embraced Linux, why would this be any different?

Luay79 September 24, 2013 05:56 AM

Different from what? Has this been done before in this scale?

Valve's Steam service has over 3,000 games available and over 50 million users registered. Game companies don't care what the OS is, they care how many people will be able to play their games. In MS's case, how many desktops already have Windows in it? Almost 99%.

Valve is not confronting Microsoft in a Sumo match, but is leveraging, as a Judo player would, MS's strength to its own advantage. Any windows game can function on both OSs, and any PC can have both OSs. Drivers don't have to be created separately for each platform.

Arinoth September 24, 2013 06:52 AM

Uh...Luay79, you are aware most games run in DirectX, which is a Microsoft exclusive, as in it is not available in Linux at all. The reason some games still work in Linux is the some, but not a lot will also run in OpenGL which is well, open source and is supported by AMD (though I hear nVidia may try to offer more support, their Linux support is still not that great).

People are wondering how all these games are going to render on their system in Linux if not for some form of streaming such as what this seems to be proposing or nVidia's Shield.

Squeetard September 24, 2013 08:00 AM

The ps4 will be directx 11.2. You can license this tech from MS.

Arinoth September 24, 2013 08:03 AM

Yes, but I don't think MS wants to or has ever licensed it to any distro of Linux. I could and am probably wrong on that though.

LarkStarr September 24, 2013 09:25 AM

piiiipppeee dreaammminnnnngg OP!

Nice try though, but your fantasy won't be played out. At least, not in this iteration of Steam OS.

Linux isn't that optimized for games. Of course the one word is Direct X - But we also have WINE. If this was a thing that could be done with Windows emulation, it would have been done and used already. It's not, unfortunately, all that successful and therefore, not popular. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Steam OS is currently planning to stream your Steam games from.. you guessed it, a Windows machine. Not even Valve is stupid enough to dump Windows just yet. You'll still need to spend that $100 ;)

The purpose of this OS is entirely different then what the masses are making it out to be. It's not a mass gaming OS, it's meant at a link between your powerful PC downstairs and your family entertainment system upstairs. That being said, I imagine it will grow if, and only if, it's a solid alternative to Plex/XBMC/whathaveyou. And to a lesser degree, if the streaming technology works well. Once it's inserted into the market, then Valve might be able to insert some nice native games first, before mass adoption as an OS.

Unless MS licenses out DX and it's fitted to Linux. Then the playing field is changed.

Shadowmeph September 24, 2013 11:52 AM

they need to develop more games that are not stuck with dx . the thing about this OS is that I am wondering if it is going to be only steam games.
another thing is that I am also thinking that with all of the android based phones that and tablets that they are trying to push more in that direction. most of the games that I have seen people playing on there phones and other small hardware I see are very similar to the very old commodore 64, Amiga and dos based days from the early 80 late 1970s. sure they are better graphically but they are pretty much the same thing.

you could basically have raspberry pi with steam os on a tv and a beefy server to play/stream your games. so, in essence, you can get a "console" at the price of the minimalist steamos platform (raspberry pi etc)

Masteroderus September 24, 2013 12:03 PM

Logical impossibility.

Free OS is free.

DX is microsoft.

If you license DX from microsoft then how can the OS stay free?

This makes me sad :sad:

I love linux and would switch without thinking except my games won't work on it (except FTL which is FTW).