Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default File Conversion .mkv to mp4

Hey guys
Looking for free software (downloadable) which I can use for converting some .mkv files to mp4.
Google only provides a kazillion links to "free" which of course inevitably means "we need your Credit Card #"
If there is such a program would appreciate it...if not oh well.

Cheers

Old August 24, 2013, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Handbrake.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder
Old August 24, 2013, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yeah okay thanks...tried it...720p...but the image quality on my 60" Sharp wasnt so grand...gonna play with the transcoding settings...this when I'm glad I have 6 Core I7 processor...all cores maxed out !!

Old August 24, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I agree handbreak is great
Old August 24, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ Yeah okay, seem to have got the picture quality down now....went from 250MB file to 600Mb file by selecting "High Profile" and "Large File Size".....takes about 9 minutes to Transcode a 600 Mb file...

My wife wants Season 1 "Orange is the new Black"...I can only find the torrent file as a .mkv....hence the transcoding to mp4 for my 60" Sharp ;)

Old August 24, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Ilya for the suggested Program, Googling the conversion would have resulted in hrs of trial n error.

Old August 24, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not sure what is wrong with the .mkv ( sometimes the volume is a little lower) but I find it actually a better quality then the mpv or mp4
Old August 24, 2013, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Dont think my Sharp Aquos can read .mkv from a USB thumb drive...pretty ,much limited to mp4 (I think)...

Old August 24, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Strange I thought that all TVs could read .mkv
Old August 24, 2013, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Are you sure it's not the video and/or audio stream format that's giving your TV troubles? MKV and MP4 are just containers after all. If it is the MKV container that's giving you problems, and your TV can handle the video/audio streams fine (should be mentioned your TV's manual, along with compatible containers), transcoding via Handbrake is unnecessary and you're only losing video/audio quality in the process. Having said that, using Handbrake with the Constant Quality setting at RF:0 will result in a relatively lossless conversion.

If the streams aren't at fault, what you want to do is demux the audio/video streams and remux them into an MP4 container. That will ensure no conversion of the streams and no quality loss. Furthermore, since no transcoding takes places, the process is much faster.

Use MediaInfo to scan media files and it will tell you the streams inside your MKV (and any other media container). It can be incorporated into the Windows context menu for simple right-clicking on files within Explorer.

Oh yah: if it's the container giving you problems, you may want to check for firmware updates to your TV. Maybe they added MKV compatibility.