Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yeah fvck it...went and bought a "Media Player" today at FS..$100...plays everything ;)

Old August 26, 2013, 07:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Yeah fvck it...went and bought a "Media Player" today at FS..$100...plays everything ;)
Did you pick up an Alienware gaming PC while you were there?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 26, 2013, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post

Which one? And do you like it? I am looking for one for my parents so it has to be simple and be able to plug in a usb drive.

Old August 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Did you pick up an Alienware gaming PC while you were there?
No...but I always always like to play "dumb" with the sales guys....my way of having "fun"...my Son was with me had a bit of a laugh.....I bought a WD 1TB External Portable HD and 32GB Jump Drive...both USB 3.0...salesman was right there so I asked him if the USB 3.0 speed meant that I could load up "just the Application file" of my Metro LL game on the 32GB Jump Drive and would it play faster on that compared to my USB 2.0 Thumb Drives......said he wasnt sure but "probably"..nuff said ;)

Quote:
Which one? And do you like it? I am looking for one for my parents so it has to be simple and be able to plug in a usb drive.
This one:
WD TV Live HD Media Player (WDBHG70000NBK-VESN) : Media Streaming - Future Shop

connected to my Sharp LED via HDMI....USB port in the front, so far plays my video media fine of my jump drives.. .avi .mpeg4 and .mkv Has Netflix streaming but dont have that yet. Comes with a remote..AAA batteries included

Old August 27, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Same one I have but I must have an older version because it will not play mkv. I have mine connected to my network and stream videos from my PC in the basement.
Old August 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I tested some mkv videos yesterday and they played fine...if its the same model perhaps a FW update would do the trick for you...I went thru 2 FW updates as soon as I connected mine.

Old August 27, 2013, 12:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Solid choice. I bought mine off some guy off ebay for $60 a few months back and it's been working great. I have yet to update the firmware though...
Old August 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Same one I have but I must have an older version because it will not play mkv. I have mine connected to my network and stream videos from my PC in the basement.
Okay "Bob Zone" question...mine is connected to my Network...but without actually placing all my Videos in my "Public Share Drive" under "Users" (which obviously would fill my Boot Drive), how the heck to get the media device to find my media on my "G Drive"....I've been playing around with Netwrok settings steady and cant seem to make it work....I do have the Folder which all my media is in as "Shared", but doesnt seem to be working as it only folders under "User" show up on my Media Player via Network.

*** Never mind...did enough Right n left clicking seems to be working now...added the folder to Libraries (I think) ;)

Last edited by rjbarker; August 27, 2013 at 04:26 PM.