Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No newer FW update available for my Sharp...simply get a message "cannot open file" when using .MKV files.....MP4 no issues. Making a point now to ensure Torrents are mp4. Still playing around with Handbrake...PQ is great, but playback seems "jerky"...not fluid.

Old August 25, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that sounds to me like a codec problem not a tv problem you just need to install the codecs so that you can play that file.
when I was running windows 7 I had problems playing certain files so I installed shark007 codecs and never had a problem since
Old August 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I believe rjbarker is having issues playing MKV files directly through his TV's media player via USB, not via PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
No newer FW update available for my Sharp...simply get a message "cannot open file" when using .MKV files.....MP4 no issues. Making a point now to ensure Torrents are mp4. Still playing around with Handbrake...PQ is great, but playback seems "jerky"...not fluid.
Then the most efficient course of action is to demux the internal streams and remux them into the MP4 container (or whatever other container(s) your TV supports). There's no encoding involved; therefore there's no loss of quality and the process takes a few minutes.

EDIT: I just remuxed an MKV movie to MP4 and it took 47 seconds.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; August 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old August 25, 2013, 06:31 PM
Trial Member

I've used AppGeeker to convert any video file.

How to Convert MKV to MP4 on Mac/PC Flawlessly

It will convert anything you throw at it including MKV to mp4 and even has preset options to make things easier.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My media player wont play .mkv so I convert em all to .mp4. Handbrake is great and free.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm update the OS or bios on the media player I had to update my whole OS on my Aios player
Old August 26, 2013, 12:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ive updated the firmware many times but it still doesnt play most mkv. Something to do with header compression I guess (you have to remux the file) but either way it is not a big deal to convert the few mkvs I want to watch. 95% of stuff these days is mp4 anyway.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I believe rjbarker is having issues playing MKV files directly through his TV's media player via USB, not via PC.

Then the most efficient course of action is to demux the internal streams and remux them into the MP4 container (or whatever other container(s) your TV supports). There's no encoding involved; therefore there's no loss of quality and the process takes a few minutes.

EDIT: I just remuxed an MKV movie to MP4 and it took 47 seconds.
Okay you've got me now...how and what tools do I use to "remux" a .mkv video to mp4? Please you gotta keep it step by step and in "English"...thanks ;)

Old August 26, 2013, 04:19 PM

My System Specs

MkvТоMp4 v0.223 - rapid tool for repack Mkv to Mp4 - Doom9's Forum

Try that out.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Okay you've got me now...how and what tools do I use to "remux" a .mkv video to mp4? Please you gotta keep it step by step and in "English"...thanks ;)
You won't want to mux it up and have to reremux.
Fold for team #54196