Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
Allstar

Default Movie Maker vs Premiere Pro

Here's the situation: I am in the process of making some programming screencasts for personal usage (i'm very forgetful about how certain processes that only happen once per project -_-).

I've been using my avermedia live gamer portable to record my videos. I had it set to 128kbps audio and '60mbps video' (whatever the hell this means).

after recording, I've been reviewing the outputted mp4 vids and the quality is totally okay.

I'm still making the videos themselves, but when I get to the editing phase, which program is preferable?

Basically, I want everything to be dummy-mode. the video should look EXACTLY the same only with certain sections missing (that will be the vast brunt of the editing - just trimming the 'outtakes'). I'm mentioning this because I've heard that repeated transcodings are lossy and everything starts going downhill.

videos are recorded on the desktop and expected to be played back on the desktop.

EDITING:

I'm pretty sure that Premiere pro is the vastly superior program, but I would imagine it's pretty complex and loaded with features that I won't ever use. If WMM has the same quality encoder, I would just use that.
Old July 21, 2013, 01:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really liked using MM when it was available. Then it was supplanted by the dumbed down version WLMM. So I used to use both to get things done. Unfortunately I don't believe MM is available for windows 7/8. But if your just doing simple clipping MM is the way to go, though saved formats are limited. Just make sure not to overwrite the original unless your satisfied with the results.

I do find MM is a tad slow though. Especially with previews.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

have you considered checking out Pinnacle 16? I know it was bought out by corel, but 16 was developed by the same dev's at least. It'll probably be the last good version since the development team was cut down to nothing in the usual corel fashion.

but anyway, pinnacle 16 is quite featurefull and depending on the edition you get, it will come with a DVD with some training material that's actually quite useful

it also takes advantage of nvidia hardware if you have it // scratch this, i'm testing the hardware acceleration right now encoding h.264....it's too conservative I found to be of any use. it's definitely encoding faster, but my gpu usage is going no higher than 7%

Last edited by stlouis1; July 23, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old July 23, 2013, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You probably only need Premiere Elements. Pro is for like movie-grade production IMO, far too complex.

But if its just desktop recording, why not use something like Camtasia instead? It'll do everything for you along with highlighting your mouse and such.
Old July 27, 2013, 06:22 PM
Allstar

I didn't even think about premiere elements. thanks for the tip.

I'm not a fan of using software recorders. It adds CPU load which inevitably adds more heat to my room; I'm using the LGP, which barely adds CPU load and doesn't output heat from itself.

EDIT:

i'm currently recording at 60mbps, but i'm wondering if this is the 'proper' way to do things. I'm under the impression that I shold record at max quality so that future transcodings won't bring the video quality below acceptable minimums (ala starting with a bigger bank).

but maybe the proper way is to just record and 20mbps and tell premiere pro to output at 20mbps? providing that I tested that 20mbps is acceptable.

I know I'm being very nitpicky here; I just hate doing things inefficiently when the best methods are easy and well-known to others.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry but I don't see your logic here? Any sort of encoding is going to use your CPU (or GPU) and generate tons of heat. The only difference is this will be during your post rather than during capture. If you are really concerned of heat, open a window or get a fan or turn up the AC or vent your PC outside?

Honestly, for training videos, you should just use a program that does everything during capture. It'll cut your time roughly in half I'd say as you'll have far less post to do. And I really doubt Camtasia (or similar) pushes your CPU that hard.
Old July 29, 2013, 12:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

camtasia works well for screen recording.

I'm not sure about on PC, but Quicktime on Mac can do screen capture too. I think you need the licensed pro version for PC if anything which may be worth looking at for recording at least?