Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default I would like to learn how to get around in newer windows versions

one thing I have not figured out is how do I turn off things that I have had to access via the windows key? like for instance I just ran this network speed test but I had to install it via the store now to exit out of it I had to use the windows key then press on the desktop do get to my desktop then I had to load up the task manager then highlight and end both the store and the network speed test. .
this actually is thing only thing I don't like about the newer versions of windows is how to get around with out a desktop like moved loading and unloading the different apps .
if I could figure out how to do this then I probably could get used to not using the desktop at all.

another thing is when I am, gaming I like to sometimes alt tab so I can access something else like my web browser or anything but in the newer windows I don't because for one I don't want everything that I opened up running in the background when I close them. in the newer windows they don't actually close which most likely will cause problems even if you have major amounts of ram you still have all of those thing running in the background that windows is dealing with and if you are running something like a game then it will cause other issues
Old July 16, 2013, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Windows 8 will suspend those apps to disk and eventually close them entirely should other applications need the RAM. It's really nothing to be concerned about.

If you don't want them running, simply don't use them. The only one I ever use is Mail for all my Hotmail/Outlook accounts that I rarely check anyhow.

And for ALT-Tabbing out of games, just hit the WinKey as well. It'll take you to your start screen, usually that's sufficient for me at least.