Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Vista OEM

I ordered a copy with my new computer, are there any issues with using the OEM or is it like the old XP ones and basically full version no problems installing ever?

I've heard that it alerts you that it's illegal etc etc all the time, is this the case?

Anything you guys know would help, I'd hate to have to buy the retail for the price it is!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No issues with OEM other than you can not do an upgrade installation over anything. Fresh install only.

I think those alerts only come up if you do not activate your copy over the net.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh awesome, thanks for the prompt response!

I don't know why I would do an upgrade install ever so I have no fears there.. haha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 28, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

another thing to note, if you upgrade your processor or your motherboard (not sure what other parts would qualify as microsofts "new computer" status) the oem version will consider your pc a "new" computer and refuse to work.

thats the difference between OEM and retail. retail can be transfered to another computer in time (but there is a limit as to how many times you can do this too from what i understand)

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old April 28, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
another thing to note, if you upgrade your processor or your motherboard (not sure what other parts would qualify as microsofts "new computer" status) the oem version will consider your pc a "new" computer and refuse to work.

thats the difference between OEM and retail. retail can be transfered to another computer in time (but there is a limit as to how many times you can do this too from what i understand)
I think it's motherboard, from what I read. That's annoying - I do like vista myself, i wish MS would do away with shit like that. Either way, I wonder if you can phone MS support about installing it on a system with a new motherboard and get them to let you haha.
Old April 28, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My experience with XP OEM was rather unpredictable. In one case I swapped a HDD for another of the same brand/size just different cache size and I had to call MS. On another occasion I swapped MB/CPU/HDD and had no problems activating? I know I am not being of any help just thought I'd share. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I think it's motherboard, from what I read. That's annoying - I do like vista myself, i wish MS would do away with shit like that. Either way, I wonder if you can phone MS support about installing it on a system with a new motherboard and get them to let you haha.
Its tied to the MOBO, BUT if the mobo dies (and you can prove it) then I believe they will allow it to transfer to the new MOBO.

EDIT: Dont activate until your updated, everytime I have I have had to call MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 28, 2008, 04:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

OEM software is permanently installed on one device. Here is the OEM license:

Quote:
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently assigned to the device with which you acquired the software. That device is the "licensed device." A hardware partition is considered to be a separate device.
And here is the retail license:

Quote:
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the "licensed device." A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
So you are not supposed to transfer the license to another device but there is a big difference between the letter of the agreement and the practical implementation. Have a look at this article which ends with this.

Quote:
"It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that your OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer, and a new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer," the system builder added. "I've activated hundreds of PCs over the years and have never had an activation rep ask if I am transferring the OEM software to a new PC. The only question that you must answer correctly (no) in order to receive the activation code is: "Is this version of Windows on more than one PC?". Therefore the end user assumes that since they received an activation code they must be legal."
If you have a full version Microsoft took out the restrictions on the number of times you could reinstall it on new gear because of the uproar in the "enthusiast community". Windows Vista Team Blog : News: Revision to Windows Vista retail licensing terms

The license used to read

Quote:
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the "licensed device."
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.
but now reads

Quote:
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.
Microsofts license terms webpage is broken for me right now. Retail Software License Terms
Old April 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Silly Microsoft haha, Thanks Jack Rabbit.. I appreciate the lengthy post. I'll read your linkage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Its tied to the MOBO, BUT if the mobo dies (and you can prove it) then I believe they will allow it to transfer to the new MOBO.

EDIT: Dont activate until your updated, everytime I have I have had to call MS.
Great tip, thanks! I'll make sure not to update hahaha!