Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2013, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Default Blue Screen of Death When Playing BF3

For the past week, when I play Battlefield 3, sometimes I would get the blue screen of death. The game would suddenly crash (I am unable to move my character and I would only hear a loud buzz in my headset). The screen would suddenly display a blue screen with words like 'error detected, dumping physical memory' along with some sort of counter which looks like its current progress. This blue screen would appear on my monitor for about 2 or 3 seconds, and then my computer would restart itself.

I built this computer half a year ago. I never had this issue until this past week when summer started. I have played other games, such as Starcraft 2 and Chivalry, but both of these games are not as intensive as Battlefield 3 and has not caused the blue screen of death. I want to note that I recently had an issue with Battlefield 3 where it was complaining that my DirectX was incompatible so I re-installed DirectX to repair that issue.

Over the past week, I have not installed or done anything new to my computer except install the game Metro Last Light and repair my DirectX.

I do not think this is an issue with over heating. My CPU is running at 50*C and my GPU is at 72*C under full gaming conditions.

i5-3570K - OCed to 4GHz
7970 - No OC
16GB DDR3 RAM - No OC
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Windows 7 Professional
Old July 1, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What driver have you been using? What is your driver update history been like? Does it still do it with detail setting set to low-medium in BF3?
Old July 1, 2013, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Prior to this issue, I was using the latest driver that was available when I built this computer (back in Dec '12). On my first blue screen, I updated my driver to the latest (13.4).

What do you mean by the detail settings of BF3? I have been playing with everything maxxed at Ultra on 1920x1080 for the past months with no issues.
Old July 1, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I mean, lower the demand on the system by lowering the settings in game and see if the issue is still there. What are your north bridge temps like? I take it that on newer systems you don't have to rape the NB in order to get a decent OK? Unlike my S775.

Edit: What sound card are you using?
Old July 1, 2013, 09:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I had this BSOD when I ran BF3 with not enough power to my video cards.

What PSU do you have?

And as for a mechanism, a hotter psu is less efficient. Perhaps heating it up is causing it to overload just a touch.

Newer Intel systems don't have a NB, so no worries there.
Old July 1, 2013, 09:50 PM
Rookie

I tried lowering my graphics to low but I had the same issue. The first time I got the same blue screen (after 30 min of play). The second time the game crashed and I got the message where Windows 7 reported an error (no blue screen of death).

I am using a Corsair TX750 PSU. According to my calculations, that should be plenty to keep my system running.

I am using the on board motherboard sound card on my ASRock Z77 Extreme4.
Old July 1, 2013, 10:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Crazy. a tx750 is more than enough. Also a 30 min BSOD isn't a power issue. I assumed it was right away (sorry!).

My next best idea was to save your OC profile then reboot and turn off all overclocks (or something like that, i've never used asrock).

Perhaps the summer heat made your processor mad.
Old July 2, 2013, 04:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmm, usually if it's a failed OC the BIOS should tell you that. Do you have a dedicated sound card to try? I know it sounds weird but I've had audio drivers give me blue screens before.

50c is nothing.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Overclocks can be funny. They can work for 90% of programs and still crash on a couple.

Although it is reading 50 degrees, I bet you're not taking a second measurement with an external temp probe. I've had motherboards read out at 0c before lol!

So you can either/or/both turn off your OC and try and see if you are stable, update audio drivers (i'd do this anyways), or just disable the sound and see if you still crash.

BF3 has been making me angry lately, it's been buggy for me.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you just startted to play BF3 and this is happening then I can slightly relate because I was always getting BSOD when playing ( if I remember right) Crysis3 and after a very long frustrating time I found that all I needed to do was slightly add a tiny little more power to my vid card ( 560ti) which worked not sure if it will work.
but if this is a new problem then I would maybe change the video drivers downgrade or even a beta driver