Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2013, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Windows 8.1..........meh

So I downloaded the preview.

- The Start button is a gimmick. No previous functionality. It's just there so old people can find the Start Page. Who are they fooling? (I'm used to the start page myself, but this is stupid.)
- Why boot to the desktop if the start button just takes you to the start page?
- They put user folders under "My Computer" or as tehy call it now "This Pc". I don't like this at all. It looks very sloppy. Why do I need this there? I can just click that little folder down by the start.........Oh hell, that changed too, mow it takes me to "This PC". No longer call libraries....meh. WTF? Where did all of my custom library shortcuts go???? Ok, found them, but it's not at the side anymore, but rather accessible by dropdown? Who's Idea was this? Ughhh....
- I like that you can use a background on the start page, but why can it only be your desktop wallpaper?
- Sorting apps into groups and allowing customization of the groups and sizes is a good change.
- Placing the arrow button below the apps to take me to all apps is also a good change.

I may update this as things strike me........
Old June 27, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still have yet to use windows 8. I have no reason to spend any time with it. Windows 7 will do me fine.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I tried to go back to W7. There are little things that I like about 8. But damn, I really don't like what they did with My Computer -->> This PC and the adding of folders above devices and drives, the removal or de-emphaiss of libraries.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hmm, is the "This PC" new to 8.1 because I have a "My computer" icon on my Win 8 desktop and it brings me to a standard Win 7 like explore interface with libraries on the side.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old June 27, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All they had to do was give a proper start menu, but no, they are frikken stupid!!!!!

Seriously what a pile of crap and really if I want to search the web I will use a damn browser, not some integrated bing shit that wants to search my computer and the web. Oh and backgrounds for the start page, I mean wow, just wow, that is everything I always wanted.

I said it months before windows 8 was released and I will say it again, this is a crap release and does not belong on the desktop.

Just in case people want to see a little video preview of the preview:
The Windows 8.1 Preview is here! - YouTube

Old June 27, 2013, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
Hmm, is the "This PC" new to 8.1 because I have a "My computer" icon on my Win 8 desktop and it brings me to a standard Win 7 like explore interface with libraries on the side.
Yes, it is in the 8.1 preview.
Attached Images

Old June 27, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Yes, it is in the 8.1 preview.
Is it just me or is that WAY easier than previous Windows? No more segmentation and different folders in different places. You go to "this PC" (stupid naming though) and EVERYTHING is there. No need to go to Desktop, or My Computer, or Libraries, or any of that BS. Everything is there and it's easy and immediate.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Same thing was achieved the previous way, except the folders and my computer were on the side, not above my drives, and all of my custom libraries are gone from the side as well (but I can add them back as favorites).

I think it looks messy and I personally dont care to see my phone grouped with my drives.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Same thing was achieved the previous way, except the folders and my computer were on the side, not above my drives, and all of my custom libraries are gone from the side as well (but I can add them back as favorites).

I think it looks messy and I personally dont care to see my phone grouped with my drives.
No, before it was either libraries or My Computer unless I'm missing something. Which either meant you can see the "real" file structure (My Computer), or see "links" (Libraries). Now, you go to one page and you have both... So you're mostly concerned that the folders are above the drives?
Old June 27, 2013, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
No, before it was either libraries or My Computer unless I'm missing something. Which either meant you can see the "real" file structure (My Computer), or see "links" (Libraries). Now, you go to one page and you have both... So you're mostly concerned that the folders are above the drives?

No, it was there before.
Attached Images