Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2013, 09:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
The search function is still there, just press the windows button and start typing and voila you are searching. Treat metro as your start page and it makes a lot of sense, hell it is even enjoyable to use. As for apps opening up in metro I get what you mean and it is annoying to have to change the settings to get them to open on the desktop but once you do it, it is done forever and you don't have to change anything.

Everyone is so caught up in "OMG Metro interface is for touch!" that they don't see it for what it really is on a desktop. It essentially just took what the start button did and expanded it across your screen so you can see more at once and access ore without searching. They also made it easier to search because all you have to do is start typing, I really don't understand what the big fuss is about.
Most of the fuss is from folks (like myself) who never use the search function. That's where the disconnect is, and unfortunately, putting in a start button without a start menu made matters even worse as it was perceived as a useless (if not outright spiteful) measure designed for salesmen in big box stores to be able to say "hey... don't worry about the complaints you've heard about win8... they're bringing back the start button in win 8.1".

IMO, that's (at the very least) deceitful if not actually fraudulent.

That said... I've moved on and will wait for the next windows version to come out before deciding if I want to switch to a different day-to-day OS (I'll keep 7 around for gaming until such time as new games will not run on it).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; September 20, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old September 20, 2013, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Most of the fuss is from folks (like myself) who never use the search function. That's where the disconnect is, and unfortunately, putting in a start button without a start menu made matters even worse as it was perceived as a useless (if not outright spiteful) measure designed for salesmen in big box stores to be able to say "hey... don't worry about the complaints you've heard about win8... they're bringing back the start button in win 8.1".

IMO, that's (at the very least) deceitful if not actually fraudulent.

That said... I've moved on and will wait for the next windows version to come out before deciding if I want to switch to a different day-to-day OS (I'll keep 7 around for gaming until such time as new games will not run on it).
But even if you don't use the search function you get a list of everything installed in alphabetical order just like the start button did. It honestly just gives you more freedom and customizability on the main interface of the "start button" I don't see it as a bad thing.
Old September 20, 2013, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
But even if you don't use the search function you get a list of everything installed in alphabetical order just like the start button did. It honestly just gives you more freedom and customizability on the main interface of the "start button" I don't see it as a bad thing.
Really? Did they add folders to the metro start menu so that I can have all of my brother software under the same folder and/or group similar types of programs under the same heading folder? (And no... I don't consider pinning the entire program folder to be a proper menu folder).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; September 20, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old September 20, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

But the start menu is a waste of space and time and most importantly obscures everything I'm actually doing. That is probably the most minor of my gripes with 8 and Microsoft's mentality though
Old September 20, 2013, 04:15 PM
MVP

Is this dead horse still being beaten? It's a freaking program launcher! You don't need Microsoft to fix this for you; you can do it yourself.

I know our society is all about ridiculous feelings of entitlement, but this is absurd.

Don't get me wrong. I can relate. I hated Program Manager. So after a good cry and a naked protest, I replaced it:

(wow, apparently someone was still using this in 1999!)
Old September 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
But the start menu is a waste of space and time and most importantly obscures everything I'm actually doing. That is probably the most minor of my gripes with 8 and Microsoft's mentality though
Then gives us BOTH options. They did this in Windows Vista for the people moving over from XP why the hell can't they do it for us in 8? Some of us DO like the start menu you know.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Is this dead horse still being beaten? It's a freaking program launcher! You don't need Microsoft to fix this for you; you can do it yourself.

I know our society is all about ridiculous feelings of entitlement, but this is absurd.

Don't get me wrong. I can relate. I hated Program Manager. So after a good cry and a naked protest, I replaced it:

Of course the dead horse is being beaten over and over.. Its a sour grape for a lot of people and we want it back. Just because there are other options out there doesn't mean people will be able to do it.

There is a reason why JUST this year the City of Calgary is switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 and I can guarantee you the only thing that will be running Windows 8 will be tablets.

Everything else not a chance in hell.
Old September 20, 2013, 05:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post

I only take out the whip for a couple of extra licks when somebody comes right out and questions why it's still an issue for many (if not the majority of) folks. Otherwise I just keep my opinion on the subject to myself.

Use win8 in it's current form or don't it makes no difference to me what others decide to do, but I personally will not purchase hardware that comes with win8 installed nor hardware which doesn't come with specific win7 drivers until such time as Microsoft changes direction on this business decision.

Old September 20, 2013, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I only take out the whip for a couple of extra licks when somebody comes right out and questions why it's still an issue for many (if not the majority of) folks. Otherwise I just keep my opinion on the subject to myself.

Use win8 in it's current form or don't it makes no difference to me what others decide to do, but I personally will not purchase hardware that comes with win8 installed nor hardware which doesn't come with specific win7 drivers until such time as Microsoft changes direction on this business decision.

And that is exactly how I feel. Also one thing I have been noticing among the new students that have been getting these new notebooks that have win8 on them, most don't like it. This is the exact demographic that Microsoft is supposedly targeting. They all keep using it because they don't have much of a choice, but almost every single one has mentioned how much they hate the UI. I keep on hearing how difficult it is to use and nothing makes sense. These are the normal type of users out there, not techie people like most of us.

Old September 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
If you're on a device with a keyboard, the start menu/screen are pretty much equally poor anyway, it would be nice to see MS evolve the search into something with the capabilities of Alfred/Quicksilver for desktop users.