Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2013, 05:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is my 1st post here. I did a install of windows 8.1 preview iso on the weekend. I liked it with a couple of exceptions. Here is my post from nvnews.net that decribes what I did and my observations:

my windows 8.1 release preview observations - nV News Forums
Old September 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
So I downloaded the preview.

- The Start button is a gimmick. No previous functionality. It's just there so old people can find the Start Page.

I resentble that.

What start page?
Old September 14, 2013, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect

"Hate" is such a strong word to describe my thoughts on 8. But (Hate = 8)
Old September 14, 2013, 09:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I still have yet to use windows 8. I have no reason to spend any time with it. Windows 7 will do me fine.

I second this. Designing an OS for touch screen tablets and then saying "screw it lets just put it on PCs also" was just a lazy thing to do.
Old September 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

After using Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 at work I greatly enjoy the improvements Win 8.1 has to offer over Win 8 and can't wait to replace my Win 8 with 8.1
Old September 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I still like vanilla windows 8 lol, finally got my own laptop using it and I really enjoy it.
Old September 19, 2013, 11:17 AM
Rookie

What baggles meh is that many of my Windows 8 Drivers will not work on Windows 8.1 as if it was some new freakin' OS!

Examples:

nVIDIA Drivers needed to be updated
Intlel Management Engine Interface needed to be updated the Windows 8 driver that ASUS has on their site for my particular laptop will cause to become FUBAR
Intel Chipset Drivers will install, but it is a MUST to install the latest ones for full win 8.1 support
Bluetooth Drivers needed to be updated the one ASUS provides initially will simply not install

All I can say is.......what the duck?!
Old September 19, 2013, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
This sum it up?
so wicked thanks
Old September 20, 2013, 04:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

What frustrates me most about Windows 8 and 8.1 is that ultimately they are still the same as XP, just a bit shinier when it comes to the desktop and desktop functionality. And the stuff that Vista and 7 added that I liked have actually been removed. For example I relied heavily on the Search function in the start menu and thats just gone, and the windows 8 search is a pain, better in 8.1 but still frustrates me, I don't know if its changed in 8.1 but how windows key + s wasn't the shortcut for search is extremely annoying. But back on topic.

The biggest problem with Microsoft's and Apple's and Google's vision is that the power user is being sidelined for ease of use and the casual user. Hell, Microsoft is on the verge of losing the PC gamer for crying out loud. Microsoft added the most basic of multimonitor support in 8 but Ubuntu has had multiple desktop for years.

Its frustrating being shoved to the metro interface at strange times when I click on things, network icon being one of them or search for a setting only to be given it in the metro interface. I DO NOT WANT THE METRO INTERFACE. It simplifies too much and makes life harder outside of touch environments.

Instead of simplifying microsoft should be playing to the strengths on the desktop. An open environment that is well supported and gives power uses the tools they want. We don't want a locked down store with full screen apps, I like my windows.

I'm not against Microsoft having a store on Windows, its probably much past the time it should have had one, a central place on windows where you have the option to buy software for your PC and keep track of, think steam but for software. But they shouldn't be able to dictate and they shouldn't be the only store they allow. The metro store as is, sucks massively, and not just because it has no apps I want, and I really don't think 8.1 improved it at all.

Microsoft, we don't want a locked down enviroment that is all padded walls and we're wrapped in bubble wrap. We want an enviroment that is open and gives us the power to do stuff.
Old September 20, 2013, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The search function is still there, just press the windows button and start typing and voila you are searching. Treat metro as your start page and it makes a lot of sense, hell it is even enjoyable to use. As for apps opening up in metro I get what you mean and it is annoying to have to change the settings to get them to open on the desktop but once you do it, it is done forever and you don't have to change anything.

Everyone is so caught up in "OMG Metro interface is for touch!" that they don't see it for what it really is on a desktop. It essentially just took what the start button did and expanded it across your screen so you can see more at once and access ore without searching. They also made it easier to search because all you have to do is start typing, I really don't understand what the big fuss is about.