Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default nVidia ShadowPlay

Do we have any information on nVidia 'ShadowPlay'? I've been really interested in this since I heard about it, but details seem to be sketchy, and I'm reading conflicting information as I wander around the webs.

One of my big questions is whether this will be available on th 6xx series? Or if it will only be available on 7xx cards? I'm also curious if the promised '5%' performance hit looks like a reality for this. And finally, what's the compression like on the video?
Old June 25, 2013, 11:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Do we have any information on nVidia 'ShadowPlay'? I've been really interested in this since I heard about it, but details seem to be sketchy, and I'm reading conflicting information as I wander around the webs.

One of my big questions is whether this will be available on th 6xx series? Or if it will only be available on 7xx cards? I'm also curious if the promised '5%' performance hit looks like a reality for this. And finally, what's the compression like on the video?
More info here: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Review

Perf drop on higher end cards is closer to 2%. Compression is H.264 / MPEG4. In my testing, a 10 minute 1080P video will be compressed into about 150MB.
Old June 25, 2013, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
More info here: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Review

Perf drop on higher end cards is closer to 2%. Compression is H.264 / MPEG4. In my testing, a 10 minute 1080P video will be compressed into about 150MB.
Nice! Very much looking forward to this feature. Although I don't see any confirmation on release. I noticed the version you are running has a 'ShadowPlay' option in it. I'm running the latest release of GeForce Experience from the website (1.5) but I don't have this option available to me. Is it something that was only released to reviewers?
Old June 25, 2013, 12:36 PM

Yes, only released to reviewers for now. It is still very much in beta.

As for compatibility, anything Kepler-based. This is because Kepler is the only NVIDIA architecture that has a dedicated hardware H.264 encoder / decoder built in.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to this being released
Old June 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Anyone know about streaming with shadowplay?
Old June 25, 2013, 08:42 PM

That feature hasn't been discussed yet but I would be shocked if NVIDIA didn't incorporate it at some point.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea I frustrated myself something awful trying to figure out why I couldn't find it just after the 770 review.. then I re-read carefully that it's to be released at a later date..

Might be worth pointing out future features / currently unavailable ones which your testing?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 3, 2013, 05:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I asked Nvidia directly about shadowplay and using it with 3d vision. They said they couldn't get it to record in 3d vision although I have read sources that have posted shadowplay recording to the 3dvisionlive website.
Old August 1, 2013, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, after several release dates announced by nVidia, the latest (posted on the nVidia Facebook page) is that ShadowPlay will be available today. It's hard to get my hopes up after so many delays and retractions. I've basically given up on believing anything nVidia says about release dates.