Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Screen Recording Software

I'm looking for a piece of screen recording software that has these requirements.

-Able to record system sound
-Able to record for a longer period
-Automatically creates a new file after a certain time or GB allotment
-Works simply and well

As a bonus if any of you know of a screen recorder that allows you to "program" for an allotted time ahead of time that would be a big bonus.

Thanks
Old June 24, 2013, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know if it automatically will split the file size, but try OBS (used for live streaming, but can record to local), you can also try whatever comes with MSI Afterburner but I'm not 100% certain on the features it has. I don't suggest Xsplit due to having to pay a license fee for most of it's features. There is also the option of using xsplit to capture your screen as a "web cam" and then use Flash media encoder with it (but the encoder on that program isn't the best and the image quality to file size isn't great anymore). I can't think of a software that lets you per-program times to start recording out of free stuff. You trying to spy on other people using your computer?
Old June 24, 2013, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thank you. I quite like OBS so far, if I could just find a way to get it to record for a few hours and then create a new file and so on. Otherwise I will just have 1 massive gigantic file sitting for me that I cannot do anything with until it is done.

I know with FRAPs you can get it to create a new file every 4GB but you must be in a game for it to work at all.

Not trying to spy, just away from my PC and want to record a longer live event as I cannot sit down and watch it and it wont be available later in its entirety.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can do a few things to decrease file size by playing with 1) the bitrate/quality 2) the frames per second 3) other settings (audio included)

OBS has support for "addons" or whatever they're called, check out the OBS forums/google search to see if you can find one that does that.