Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2013, 10:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Unhappy Windows 8 updates causing my screen to not appear

Hey guys, I have Windows 8 Pro with media center installed.

My problem began when I locked my computer to go take a shower. After I got back to my shower, I noticed that my lock screen stopped responding on me, so after I restarted my computer, my monitor would blink and eventually have a "no signal" message and come one again and start blinking again. I did a system restore and I got my Windows 8 working again. However, when I installed updates and rebooted, the same thing happened again; I also have to keep re-installing Adobe Flash player.

This is very frustrating for me.

Any help will be thanked.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:33 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Can you get in in safe mode? Does Win8 have a safe mode, lol? Boot in safe mode and uninstall those updates one by one until you find the culprit.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Can you get in in safe mode? Does Win8 have a safe mode, lol? Boot in safe mode and uninstall those updates one by one until you find the culprit.
Of course it has a safe mode lol, they're not that dumb.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You could try updating your video card drivers maybe?

It sounds like the machine tried to enter "sleep" (S1/S3) mode but failed and thus rebooted.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well perhaps it's because it has an SSD in it? I was never able to get my PC to sleep mode with an SSD in it :P
Old June 14, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is extremely weird for me to hear about. Last night around 6PM I reloaded windows 7 on two computers and did all the drivers and whatnot. Computers both asked for reboots for 2 Windows updates, both computers had the exact same problem you described. Black screen, but I could hear that Windows was still loading. Updates were the culprit.

For that to happen on two different laptops, with two different chipsets, and two different install medias is weird. I'm starting to think MS had a problem with their update servers tossing out botched updates for a bit, as today they both updated and rebooted fine.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 14, 2013, 09:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Meh I got the updates last night and it's working absolutely fine on my end.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

probably a conflict of the drivers sometimes a complete shut down unplug the psu power cord and then pressing the start button to get rid of any left over juice, plugging in the power and restarting fixes this.
funning thing is it probably took me longer to type that out then it would to actually do this .