Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2013, 04:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 2008 R2 to 2012 upgrades?

just curious, has anyone here had any success upgrading a 2008 R2 server to 2012?

The server I have in mind is running Active Directory + Certificate Services, Remote Access and Authentication, and WSUS

My goal is to migrate my PDC to a 2012 server and then convert it to a core server, without a gui, the way a server should be and reduce the memory overhead to free resources for better things.

I've already backed up the virtual machine on the ESXi host and I'm prepping to go at it. My AD schema has already been upgraded since I added a 2012 BDC several weeks back, I'm just looking for any insights
Old June 12, 2013, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For anyone interested, the upgrade went smoothly

I was required to uninstall my Anti-Virus, WSUS, and I also opted to removed .NET Framework 4.0 prior to the upgrade.

The upgrade carried over everything just fine. After reinstalling WSUS, which also picked up the existing update cache and database, I uploaded it to a new folder on my ESXi host, shutdown the copy running 2008 r2 and booted up the one running 2012. I ran dcdiag and everything was communicating correctly to my surprise.

I did have an issue with WSUS, it's worth noting the default port for the IIS share has changed to 8530 in Server 2012 so I had to correct my Group Policy for my WSUS settings

I also ended up with some conflicting firewall rules which ended up blocking Remote Desktop, had to correct that as well

and finally, the RADIUS server has been broken off into a different role, NAP (Network Access Protection) which will not run on a core server installation, disappointing, but the memory usage with the server 2012 install is much lower to my surprise so I'm not completely hurt by this

I'm still monitoring it for any issues, but all seems well
Old June 12, 2013, 10:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
I did have an issue with WSUS, it's worth noting the default port for the IIS share has changed to 8530 in Server 2012 so I had to correct my Group Policy for my WSUS settings
AFAIK that's always been the case... At least for me whenever I've setup WSUS.

Good to hear it worked out for you. I personally just built a 2012 DC, transferred all the FSMO roles over to it and nuked the 2008 R2 DC.

I did find that Server 2012 Core install seems to have some wonky firewall issues in general. I added the AD roles using the PowerShell cmdlets built-in which worked fine, but until I disabled the firewall (later setup rules), nothing would replicate. I had no SYSVOL or NETLOGON shares. I figured this would of been something that the PowerShell cmdlet would take care of, since in a full GUI install the wizard seems to do everything fine.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, I would have preferred to build a new system and migrate to it, but I was having trouble with the migration tools, and after checking and rechecking, I figured I would just back up the VM and try the upgrade in a sandbox so to speak

I really wish NAP would run on a core server though. The biggest reason I upgraded was because the remote access roles would run on a core install, but once it was upgraded, i noticed the NAP role and looked it up and that's when I found the documentation about it being separated now.

Either way, memory usage is still significantly lower. Though there's the odd time the database service for WSUS doesn't start correctly and I have to manually start it, but it might be time to clean and shrink that database again so I'll see if it persists after that because it's not really a new issue since upgrading to 2012