Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2013, 11:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Turn windows features on & off

Anyone here know exactly what all the 'features' in the Turn Windows features on and off do exactly? From top (games) to bottom (XPS viewer) . . . . . I've always wondered. Running Windows 7 Ult if it matters. And yes I want to know what each and everything does . . . .

Last edited by dlf; May 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf View Post
Anyone here know exactly what all the 'features' in the Turn Windows features on and off do exactly? From top (games) to bottom (XPS viewer) . . . . . I've always wondered. Running Windows 7 Ult if it matters. And yes I want to know what each and everything does . . . .
Well I can't name them all at the top of my head, some of them are obvious what they do (Games like Solitaire, Chess and stuff like that) Others are not for example XPS, XPS is pretty much like a PDF maker expect it uses a XPS format. When you try to "print" a document or anything one of your printer choices is a "XPS Printer" it's not a real printer, what it does is that it saves your document in a XPS format that's not editable (like PDF). Basically it's the freebie version of a PDF but it's not catching on... so you can uninstall it.

MSMQ is not important at all (which is why it's not installed) it's basically your PC acts as a messenger server so clients can send messages within the domain.

A RIP listener is like it says it listens to what the router is routing.

The Network File System is used by Unix systems to store files on a network, if you're server is a UNIX one, you'll need this installed if you wish to get files from the server.

Skip a few because they're not important... Windows TIFF IFilter, like the name says when Windows looks at a TIFF image file, it'll be indexed, since TIFF is a Tagged image format.

Simple TCPIP Service I cannot answer because I don't know what it does myself.

But ya that covers most of the ones.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Enabling/Disabling these don't really do much though. All the files are there in every Windows install, so you won't exactly save any space. Performance wise, I don't think it would heavily impact that either.

Most of the stuff that is disabled is either legacy or has specific usage scenarios that 99% of people don't need.

You can turn off more stuff if you don't use those parts of Windows. The only one that you might get a performance benefit from is disabling Windows Search. The rest might just save you a few MB's if that.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

disabling windows search will get rid of the start search option though, and imo, you may as well go back to XP if you're going to do that