Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2013, 11:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Sleeper - Turn off display.

I have always used my power button to turn off my screen when not in use. But, now I have my monitor hooked up by display port. So If I turn it off using the power button, my windows get resized.

I dont like having my display take a long time to shut off using power management, but I also dont like having it go off to soon. The power button was always the best way for me.

Some searching on the net pointed me to a program called "Sleeper" which turns the display off with the click of a little program.

I though I'd share here in case anyone else has ealt with this and needs a solution.

EDIT: After further review, it worked a couple of times, but then the last time it locked up the monitor and I had to unplug it to get it going again, so I'd say use at your own risk.

Last edited by crazyea; May 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that seems strange I just use the normal "Control Panel\Hardware\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings" in windows 8 it works good I am not acually sure if it does turn off my monitor becasue the power light on the monitor is flashing but the screen is black.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:27 AM

My System Specs

I have used NirCMD to do the same thing. NirCmd - Windows command line tool Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Turn Off the Monitor
Old May 26, 2013, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you use an android phone Unified remote is a god send, it has a turn off monitor button so it turns the monitor off as if it went to sleep, really useful. I use it when I'm in bed and don't want to get up to turn my monitor off, or put sometime else on to watch.
Old May 26, 2013, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Thanks! Seems much more reliable.
Old May 26, 2013, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like your monitor has issues. I use sleep mode via the start button and it suspends the system and puts the monitor in sleep mode virtually instantaneously. Your monitor should sleep after there is no input signal detected.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I dont use sleep at all. I stream to other computers so it doesnt work for me. I just want the display to turn off. I can set it via the power options to say 5 minutes, but I dont really want to wait 5 minutes sometimes. Sometimes I just want to walk away and have it off. I used to use the power button, but now I have display port and If I turn it off all of my windows get resized which is irritating. Lowfat's post is exactly what I want and it works.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh!, I see. Glad you got it sorted out.