Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2013, 06:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Help removing taskbar in W7?

--EDIT--
I found a solution, Instead of using rocketdock I picked up a copy of ObjectDock ($5 and completely worth it)
ObjectDock has an option to hide the taskbar..It's a lifesaver!
--/EDIT--

Hi guys! (Hope this is the right forum, It's the only place that seemed relevant)
So, I've been doing a LOT of tweaking to my PC, making it look nice and that. I'm beginning to have a problem making it exactly like I want, See the taskbar...It needs to die.

I've downloaded a program that temporarily disables it (Yes I know downloading a program that removes a key element of Windows isn't exactly the best idea...)

My screen <should> look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/I1Ty6PB.jpg?1

What it ends up looking like is this:
http://i.imgur.com/6dtO61c.jpg

So my question: How do I kill it? No matter what I try, no matter how hard, it lives. IT JUST WON'T DIE!

I've tried programs similar to the one I currently use to disable it..All end up doing the same thing.
I've heard of using a shell replacement but I have no idea how... Any help will be greatly appreciated and I thank anyone who contributes to helping in advanced.

Last edited by Ispira; May 23, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Set this registry key: HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
as a REG_SZ value with the path to the EXE you want to launch. In your case, I'd point it at the EXE for your dock.

That should do the trick.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

--EDIT-- I found a fix, See the edited OP.

BAD THINGS HAPPENED.
Set the registry value then restarted my PC...
Upon starting nothing loaded..at all, not even my background. Not rainmeter..not rocketdock
I got stuck on a black screen with the "Oh " face.

After Windows+R didn't work I brought up task manager and started explorer.exe... Everything's working properly now and I deleted the registry key.

I do believe I need to look into a more...safe...method.
Only after explorer.exe started did my dock even try to load...

I'm starting to think one of these shell replacements is going to be my only choice, eh?

Last edited by Ispira; May 23, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect

Why don't you just move the to the left or right and have it on auto-hide?

I don't think it's worth potentially messing up the OS trying to remove it