Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Asus RIVE and W7 UEFI Install (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/61088-asus-rive-w7-uefi-install.html)

rjbarker May 6, 2013 10:31 AM

Asus RIVE and W7 UEFI Install
 
Hey guys
In prep for this build been reading lots over at the ROG Forum. Last night I started reading through the W7/8 Install guide and had a serious headache after reading through the UEFI Windows installation vs BIOS

Anyone here completed this type of install on these Asus Boards?

It looks fairly straightforward as I'll be using a new Intel SSD, so the initial steps of the install looks as though itwill ensure my Disc is GPT type, then set up required partitions and install.

Now, when I connect my older drives, one Vertex II and one WD Black 640, will there be issues with my system detecting these drives once plugged in.

This whole UEFI, GPT CMS causing brain throbbing :doh:

Guess the question is do you have to install via this method or can you install via basic BIOS method ? Hard to teach an old dog new tricks every now n then!!

stoanee May 6, 2013 10:54 AM

I just installed old school, UEFI was enabled by default. As far as I am concerned UEFI is the same as previous bios screens, just a little prettier. Should not be any issues with other drives, I have had a 640 black in and out with no issues.

rjbarker May 6, 2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 707351)
I just installed old school, UEFI was enabled by default. As far as I am concerned UEFI is the same as previous bios screens, just a little prettier. Should not be any issues with other drives, I have had a 640 black in and out with no issues.

So when you say old school you mean not bothering with all the UEFI stuff? Cannot get on ROG Forum right now, Server down.
I would like to:
1. Plug in Intel SATA 3 to SATA 3 Port
2. Plug in 2 x Optical Drives
3. Boot from one of the Optical Drives with W7 Disc
fairly straight forward as with my other builds, BUT then I start reading installing via UEFI and ensuring CMS enabled and disc formatted in GPT and its wtf?! Really....

From what I understand UEFI Mode provides for faster boot times mostly when running RAID? For single SSD Drive no real benefit, so why bother making thing more complicated?

May have to pick your brain further :whistle:

lowfat May 6, 2013 11:10 AM

Any specific reason why you want to use GPT on your boot drive?

rjbarker May 6, 2013 11:19 AM

^^just following the W7 Install Guide on the ROG Forums / RIVE and it gives step by step for clean install using UEFI and GPT, as said, I would rather just go with a regular install, but not sure if I'm going to introduce problems by not following the ASUS Install Guide using UEFI, CMS and GPT?

Or is this just Asus crap which really isnt necessary, sorry guys, this wil be my first Asus Board, my Classified 759 X58 Board was extremely straightforward for W7 install.

dustin1706 May 6, 2013 01:40 PM

No need to sweat it so hard RJ. Just leave it uefi and install everything like you normally would. UEFI in a nutshell is a prettier, more intuitive, faster, more feature rich bios. No reason not to use it unless you need to run some odd legacy hardware that won't support uefi like some old raid cards etc.

CSM allows for most legacy devices to boot with uefi. I haven't had anything not boot with it. Disabling CSM allows "secure boot". Personally I run with CSM enabled (default I think).

GPT allows >2gb drives but a GPT formatted drive will not boot on a standard bios. MBR is compatible with more partitioning and recovery software, but that is changing. You can mix and match gpt and mbr all day, so run whichever you like. If you have any 3tb+ drives format those gpt to use the entire disk.

Also, with the R4E, you should check your bios version and update it if it is a ways back. Simple to do with a usb stick using the "bios flashback button".

rjbarker May 6, 2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin1706 (Post 707387)
No need to sweat it so hard RJ. Just leave it uefi and install everything like you normally would. UEFI in a nutshell is a prettier, more intuitive, faster, more feature rich bios. No reason not to use it unless you need to run some odd legacy hardware that won't support uefi like some old raid cards etc.

CSM allows for most legacy devices to boot with uefi. I haven't had anything not boot with it. Disabling CSM allows "secure boot". Personally I run with CSM enabled (default I think).

GPT allows >2gb drives but a GPT formatted drive will not boot on a standard bios. MBR is compatible with more partitioning and recovery software, but that is changing. You can mix and match gpt and mbr all day, so run whichever you like. If you have any 3tb+ drives format those gpt to use the entire disk.

Also, with the R4E, you should check your bios version and update it if it is a ways back. Simple to do with a usb stick using the "bios flashback button".

Okay thanks for some clarification. Still digging on the ROG Forum, but the Site has been down for hours.
Also, want to make sure there will be no issues with my 680 Classifieds installed, I take it allowing CSM ensure comaptibility with everything.

rjbarker May 6, 2013 09:14 PM

W7 Install on RIVE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 707391)
Okay thanks for some clarification. Still digging on the ROG Forum, but the Site has been down for hours.
Also, want to make sure there will be no issues with my 680 Classifieds installed, I take it allowing CSM ensure comaptibility with everything.

Ok folks, ROG Forum is back up, here's the Thread I have been reading:

RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide

So if I dont want to install in UEFI Mode (I dont really see the benefit if I'm not running RAID or W8), would I select my Optical Boot Drive as the one showing no "UEFI" Prefix? That would be the Optical Drive I would have W7 Disc installed in.

Also, if I do just go ahead and select the Drivewith "UEFI" prefix, it sounds as though this will take me through an install in "UEFI Mode", I dont really care provided it doesnt impact connecting my Vertex IIand WD Black 640GB Drives or running my 680 Classifieds (that dont have a BIOS with UEFI Support).

Just want to make sure I get this right guys,,, :blarg:

ipaine May 6, 2013 09:31 PM

Just pick the option that does not have UEFI in front of it. Then just install windows 7 like you have in the past.

The idea with using UEFI is that it allows you to boot from a GPT drive. If you look at most of the notebooks that are coming with windows 8 pre-installed you will see it is all done using UEFI and then the main drive is set up as a GPT drive which allows them to have multiple (I mean like 5 in most cases) active partitions. It also does speed up the boot going from the "bios" level to the OS. But really what I end up doing with all of those machines is wiping the drive and converting the drive back to an MBR and then installing windows 7.

rjbarker May 6, 2013 09:37 PM

^^^ Thanks Ipaine...feel somewhat "lost" going to a new Board.....oh well, sounds as touhsome folks have installed in "UEFI Mode" with no issues as well...thanks again, should see the gear tomorrow.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.