Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2013, 12:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default AMD Driver Update Windows 8 Problem

Ok, I've been trying to update my drivers for a couple hours now and am being confused. If I try to install the fairly current drivers from AMD's website it destroys my ability to load windows. It goes through BIOS and Windows loading fine but when I get to the lock screen 1 monitor is black, 1 monitor goes back to sleep and the 3rd has bars that flash and "roll" down the screen.

I'm running Win8 x64, have a 7970 and when I run the update check utility from Windows and AMD I am told my drivers are up to date. That confuses me due the drivers being dated October of last year and the current website being a few days ago. I've had games inform me to update my drivers as well so I am quite confused. Please assist me in this.

And since when did it become impossible to install or uninstall drivers from Safe Mode? I was just getting a "
Detection driver failed to load" every time I tried to do so.

I put this in the wrong forum and have moved it here, hope you dont mind. I would like to find a solution to this.

Old April 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

All I can contribute is that I have Win 8 x64 with a 6970 and I've been following the latest betas continuously without any issue. I don't think update considers the betas as upgrade-able, but they do seem to help out in games.

Maybe try to update with just one monitor attached?
Old April 29, 2013, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok you are saying that after you updated your video card drivers you are running into problems , well first I woulkd need to know your setup it hiow many monitors you are running would help, and if you are running more then one monitor then unplug all accept for one and then turn your system on. it sounds to me that you are running more then a single monitor and after you updated the drivers reset if this is the case then a single monitor should get you to your desktop try that then post back.
Old April 29, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

I do run a 3 monitor setup, primary =1680x1050, secondary, 1600x1200, and 1280x1024. I will remove 2 monitors and try to install using only the primary.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

was this windows 8 installation an upgrade over a previous windows 7 installation that had the AMD drivers installed? maybe something broke along the way?

maybe try uninstalling the AMD drivers completely, then use the pnputil command line tool from an admin command prompt to check that it's gone from the driver store and remove it if it's still there. see the technet reference below for pnputil

Pnputil

then try installing the latest version and see what happens?
Old May 3, 2013, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

It was Win8 on a new SSD with a dual boot of Win7 on an older HDD. Win7 was deleted a while ago now though.

Well I did as was instructed, reduced it down to 1, did the driver install, it booted up nicely. Plugged my monitors back in and then rebooted just to be sure. Same problem. So I took out the monitor that I have plugged into minidisplay port with a vga adapter. Rebooted and it works fine. Now I just need to figure out how to get that 3rd monitor working properly....
Old May 3, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

ati software or windows multi-moniter set-up ?
Old May 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just letting Windows handle the multimonitor as I dont game or spread anything across more than 1.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a similar problem, just got a 7790 and is folding fine, but I am missing the 3D and overclock option from the Catalyst drivers. I used a special driver download from the AMD website for 7790 and now I am using the beta driver I think is 13.5 beta 2. The card is not the display card, could that be the problem? I use Win8 Pro x64.