Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Clean Install Windows 7 - Query

Hi Folks
Doing a "re-build / Clean Install" of Procyon, yes its been a few yrs. My Intel 80GB Drive is down to 4GB of space left and I have another Intel 120GB Drive BNB, so want to use it.
A couple of questions:

1. I have MS Office installed on another Drive (Vertex), will I have to do anything special to access Word, Outlook etc after clean installing W7 on my Boot Drive?
2. Steam, Origin and MS Office are installed on my 240GB Vertex

I'm ripping Procyon apart to install new 100i Cooler, when I put it back together, plan on only connecting the Optical Drive and Boot SSD, then clean installing W7.

Once that's done I'll systematically re-connect my other 2 Drives.

Any other files I should back up other than "My Document" files, Drivers and of course Fire Fox Favourites?

Thanks

Old April 27, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Back up for C:\Users\(Username)\AppData folder or at least the software that is in there that you are going to use on the new install
Old April 27, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks got it:

- User / Application Data Folder

So after re-installing W7, Drivers I can then copy the App Data folder to "Users" correct?

I'm also doing a Windows Back-up, as well as a Windows Easy Transfer ("User") just to be on the safe side.

Old April 27, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

pretty much yes
Old April 27, 2013, 06:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You'll have to re-install Office and Origin for sure. Steam will re-install itself when you launch steam.exe.

As for copying AppData, I'd be careful just dumping it back onto your system. You should browse through the folders and only copy what you actually need. Otherwise you're going to have a bunch of junk that you likely don't need/want.

You may also want to check the ProgramData folder (hidden by default at the root of C) as that contains shared application data.

And I wouldn't bother with that Windows backup/transfer stuff. Again, it'll just make things messier than they need to be.

Usually I just make a copy of the entire Users folder and ProgramData folder, then I can restore the files I need once Windows is re-installed.

And my recommendation is to use something like Win Toolkit to integrate all the hotfixes. This way once you install Windows, it's all patched and ready-to-go. You don't have to spend hours waiting for Windows Update to run.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

other is game profiles to keep rank, unless wanted to start fresh
Old April 30, 2013, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks guys, everything went pretty good.
Clean install windows 7 onto new 120GB SSD.

Only hitch is I cannot open MS Office even though its loaded on my Vertex Drive.
I did do a a back-up of "Users" and installed that, but still no go on Office.

Now JD you say re-install of Office is required? Damn, thought having it installed on another drive would get me around this?

Any other things I can try prior to a re-install of Office on the Vertex? I guess if I do this Ill have to manually delete all MS Office files/folders first off the Vertex then re-install?

Thanks

Old April 30, 2013, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you still have the User / Application Data Folder back up which should have the ms office inside plus all of the other Office files backed up you should be able to just reinstall then once it is all reinstalled over right those files again with your back up . But before doing this did you go into the actual folder where your MS office is and try the .exe file inside there ?
I think what has happened was that some of the MS files also went into the " program data folder which I forgot to mention to back up any files inside there ( Sorry for that).
Old April 30, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes tried the Office executable on the Vertex and just get errors, cannot open.

I was sort of foresseing this so I did back up my Outlook .pst, in case I had to re-install.

Also, I can open Origin, but although my games show up there, I only have the option to download them again....even though they are already all on my Vertex Drive (same Drive letter as prior to clean install W7).....fvck, thats why I havent done a clean install in a few yrs...pita!!

Last edited by rjbarker; April 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You'll have to re-configure the download path in Origin and maybe the location where it installs the games. I know I've never had to re-download BF3 when re-installing Windows. It will run the setup though to create the registry keys and verify all the files are in tact.

And yes, Office doesn't work because your missing a TON of registry entries. That's the problem with Windows. Registry impacts a good 70-80% of applications and without it, they won't launch. Most importantly, you're missing all the licensing data.