Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2013, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yeah ok thanks JD, been at this all afternoon as I decided to go back, as you said "forget about the Windows Back-up" crap and do a "complete W7 Clean Install"....no trying to restore files from a Back-up!!
Figure its pointless if I'm going to have to re-install Office and re-download games with Origin anyhow.

So, I have completed a "Clean Install" and am systematically re-installing the various Apps. Feel better doing it this way anyhow. As you said, I'm not "re-loading" all the crap I had before.

Hopefully my Steam Games will work ok, all of Steam (like Origin) is on my Vertex Drive, hopefully they will be fine, if not I'm fully prepared to re-download if I have to....gotta love Steam Cloud at this point ;)

Also, I've done way more installs of my Office then I'm supposed to, hoping there are no issues Activating yet again.

Old April 30, 2013, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only issue I find with Steam, some games that are not fully-Steam-compliant, will run their installers when you go to play it. Not a big deal.

One other thing, you'll have to manually go and set all the games for "Automatic Updates" if you want that. Those settings don't seem to ever transfer over for me.

But yeah, as big of a pain in the ass it might be, doing everything fresh from scratch is much better.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks again, slowly getting it all squared away...thinks its even more painful as my copy of W7 is an original...so a shvt load of updates, probably wouldn't be as bad if it was at least SP1 edition ;)

So reloaded Office, no biggie, glad I had a .pst file backed up yesterday!!! The Activations worked yet again...
Steam games all seem to be fine, just goes through the "Initial Installation Process" then good to go, even FC3 which is 1st Party Uplay.

Origin is the bugger.....even re-installing and ensuring the Drive Directories are pointing where they should be, the only option I get in "My Games" screen is to "download", dont get it as now I'm downloading the same files I already have....oh well, didnt have that many games on Origin anyhow!

On a good note my Intel Boot 120 GB SSD has 61GB free of 111GB....got tired of looking at that red bar on my old 80GB Intel SSD and seeing 4GB left!!! So I should be good for another few yrs, unless I upgrade platforms of course ;)