Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2013, 04:50 AM
MVP

Default Read Only Directory But Writable Files Within, Possible with W8?

Anyway to make a directory read only and have the files writable? Id like to lock a directory from being deleted but allow the files within to be changed. Using W8.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Shouldn't it be the exact same method as the other versions of Windows? Right click on Folder, Security, give User (or Group) READ and WRITE only. If you give the user MODIFY they can rename and delete the files inside the folder, as to read and write they can only view/open and add extra stuff to the file itself.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Rookie
F@H

Also give "list folder contents" and "Read and execute". As mentioned do not give modify (or full control).
Old April 24, 2013, 03:35 PM
MVP

Yeah the problem is something is deleting my media but I cant figure out what. XBMC, Sickbeard, something else? Not sure. Can't figure it out. Im the only user of my system but the htpc is shared by all in the house. Files are stored on my system. XBMC does not delete files unless told to do so and Sickbeard only renames and moves them. Confused.
I want to be able to write to the folder, rename but not delete. Is that possible?