Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2013, 04:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How many of the folks who say the metro interface doesn't bother them are running some form of third party program which returns the start menu functionality?

That's just outright silly..... it's like an automobile company deciding that folks want to steer using a joystick, and 70% of folks who buy those new joystick enabled cars immediately driving across the street to have a steering wheel put in.

Simple solution.... don't buy the car without the steering wheel if you can't live without one.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 25, 2013, 08:00 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
How many of the folks who say the metro interface doesn't bother them are running some form of third party program which returns the start menu functionality?
I do. I can agree that it is silly that is required. However the other improvements are worth it to me.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

3rd party start menu isn't necessary at all... more of a training wheel if you ask me.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You are probably also what 25 years old? And only started using Windows when XP was around?

Us older generation are used to mouse and clicking..
pffft...i grew up with DOS 5.x And im a quick adopter of any new system that comes out.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love my desktop I just put all of my shortcuts on it , I think that because I never really spent the time to properly set up so that when I press the windows key I have to scroll though all of my programs to find something there probably is a way just to have my favorite or most used programs first.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

form an administrative standpoint, i like windows 8, the new task manager is great, and putting the startup program options in task manager where it's more accessible to novice users is fantastic. not to mention making all the more common administrative and configuration tools more accessible and more in plain view is nice

then there's the enhancements to the dism command line tool, being able to completely remove unused features from the hard drive and not just disabling them, and also the component cleanup option to get rid of old versions of system files will provide useful for admin's and systems running on smaller ssd's or cloud hosted desktops where space restrictions are in place. Some of the cloud hosted desktops I manage have less than 20gb hard drive space to give an example. having multiple versions of system files in the WinSXS folder over time becomes an issue. then there's also the ability to capture images with the updated dism without the need to download the WAIK. is it obvious the new DISM tools are what I love most about Win8?

everything else to me is the same pile really. Windows is Windows at the end of the day for all I care. it is a little better on memory as mentioned, but meh.

I'm not a fan of the metro UI, I multitask alot and I find it cumbersome going back and forth the way I work, but I have not really sat down and taken the time to explore the new UI to give it a fair shot. I used win8 with a classic shell installed mostly, but 2 out of 3 of my win8 systems have gone back to windows 7. My htpc went back to 7 because win8 was bluescreening while scanning channels and xmbc runs as a shell on it so it never see's a windows desktop anyway.

My other win8 install is running in parallels on my macbook pro, i don't see the start screen because my program shortcuts are pinned in folders, and the reason I put win8 in parallels on the macbook goes back to dism, the native ability to remove features form the drive to save space, in a virtual machine on a 128gb SSD, this is useful

I have been meaning to put Win8 on my main desktop to give it a fair try again, but haven't had the time yet.