Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2013, 01:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
I use Windows 8 as my main OS. However, I don't use "metro" apps and skip directly to desktop so it might as well be Windows 7 for all I care.
This
Old April 24, 2013, 01:51 PM
Rookie
F@H

I use win 8 on my laptop which is my main workstation. NO issues with it whatsoever. I usually skip straight to the desktop and work directly from there. I will not upgrade my game system to W8 because there are some compatibility issues with some of the software I use. (It needs IE 9 or below; recompile needed for IE 10).

I dont see the point in whining about Metro, i simply dont use it that much. Lack of a start menu? hmmm, Metro's start screen seems to emulate exactly how I was using the start menu before - start typing the program name and it filters the results. Only gripe is it has a separate area for programs and settings. So no major complaints with Win 8.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
I use win 8 on my laptop which is my main workstation. NO issues with it whatsoever. I usually skip straight to the desktop and work directly from there. I will not upgrade my game system to W8 because there are some compatibility issues with some of the software I use. (It needs IE 9 or below; recompile needed for IE 10).

I dont see the point in whining about Metro, i simply dont use it that much. Lack of a start menu? hmmm, Metro's start screen seems to emulate exactly how I was using the start menu before - start typing the program name and it filters the results. Only gripe is it has a separate area for programs and settings. So no major complaints with Win 8.
\

Exactly... those of us who don't like the metro interface are the folks who have never used the search function in that manner (except maybe to bring up cmd quickly) and have no intention to start. (pun intended.... ;) ).

Folks like yourself who were using the search function prior to win8 are the target market for the new interface.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 24, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post

You are probably also what 25 years old? And only started using Windows when XP was around?

Us older generation are used to mouse and clicking..
Old April 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You are probably also what 25 years old? And only started using Windows when XP was around?

Us older generation are used to mouse and clicking..
And some of us remember when they introduced this mouse thing and a graphical interface. I amaze myself when I get to the command prompt and remember what it was like and even some of the command.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old April 24, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have tried to use windows 8 on multiple occasions and I just can't like it. While it does boot fast and has a great task manager, the lack of start menu and metro as a whole just kills it for me. Now if they can fix those issues then I could see myself changing, maybe.

Old April 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
MVP

Regarding the start menu and metro, there is Classic Shell. Pretty much turns it into windows 7. It boots straight to desktop instead of the start screen, for the people who don't like change.

Of course I hear a lot of reasons NOT to switch. But what are some good reasons to go to Windows 8?
Old April 24, 2013, 05:59 PM
MVP

I thought this was kinda cool. If you're using Windows mainly for gaming, Metro can be quite nice:
http://i.imgur.com/RJLUt.jpg
Old April 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Win8 is now my primary desktop OS. Metro sucks ass but can be avoided, after a while the crappy Seattle lock screen is only thing that bugs me. Despite what some people might say.. IT'S NOT THE GARBAGE THEY ONCE CALLED "VISTA". :)
Old April 25, 2013, 03:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

cant be bothered to change to 8 all 3 of my PC's run 7 and its working just fine. Thats not to say i havent tried 8, i used it throughout the beta period and was impressed with memory usage over 7 and the enhanced Task Manager was also a welcomed addition.

24/7 WCG Cruncher: i5 2400 @3.4ghz, Gigabyte HD 7770 1GB (GPU Cruncher), AsRock Z68M/USB3 Mobo, 8GB HyperX DDR 3, 120GB HyperX Blue SSD | 1TB storage, Thermaltake TR2 500w PSU, Thermaltake Soprano Snow Edition case

Laptop: Asus G74Sx | i7 2630QM, GTX 560M 3GB, 12 GB DDR 3 1333, 750GB Sata II HDD