Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Free Disk Clone Software - Windows (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/60743-free-disk-clone-software-windows.html)

SneakySnake April 17, 2013 11:51 AM

Free Disk Clone Software - Windows

Just got a new laptop, and I installed a mSATA drive in it immediately. I'm wanting to clone everything over to the mSATA, and then wipe the 1 TB HDD in the laptop, and just use it as bulk storage.

Is there a decent free app that can do this? I downloaded Acronis, but the free version doesn't allow disk cloning. Google seems like a minefield of bloatware when I search for a app that can do this.

SugarJ April 17, 2013 11:56 AM

I've used Easeus Partition Master, but if you check the website of your HDD maker there's probably a free branded version of Acronis you can use. Both Seagate and WD offer it, or used to.

SKYMTL April 17, 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 703870)
I've used Easeus Partition Master, but if you check the website of your HDD maker there's probably a free branded version of Acronis you can use. Both Seagate and WD offer it, or used to.

The migration software from most manufacturers only works when cloning TO a drive from said manufacturer, not FROM it.

Personally, I use TODO Backup from EaseUS. It costs a bit but I love the ability to do bare metal migration through the Windows PE environment.

It basically allows you do take your whole Windows installation, strip away the drivers and migrate it to a completely new system, while also retaining every one of your programs and even optimizing for HDD-> SSD migrations.

SpaceSquad April 17, 2013 01:16 PM

I use Redo Backup Bare Metal Restore Solution GUI Backup Open Source GPL Recovery ...it is very good and very easy to use. I used clonezilla for a long time - but Redo is fantastic for simple+easy cloning.

SugarJ April 17, 2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 703877)
The migration software from most manufacturers only works when cloning TO a drive from said manufacturer, not FROM it.

Kind of OT, but are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I used the WD version when I cloned my WD drive to my new Seagate a couple of months ago.

sswilson April 17, 2013 02:26 PM

Yeah I've never had any problem specifically with the WD version. I'm even pretty sure I've gone from a Seagate OS drive to a Corsair SSD with a WD black as my storage drive.

ShinraCorp April 17, 2013 03:07 PM

Even then Acronis is only 40$ and there's not much need for the PLUS pack either (mine just came in for free as a sale.)

YukonTrooper April 17, 2013 04:07 PM

Clonezilla, Paragon Backup and Recovery, Macrium Reflect, DriveImage XML. All are free or have free versions.

sswilson April 17, 2013 04:11 PM

I might have been looking at it wrong but when I looked at buying acronis last year the functions I wanted were spread out over several packages. It struck me as being like the cable packages where they sprinkle the good channels in with ones you'll never watch so that you have to subscribe to several mostly useless bundles in order to get the few nuggets. I seriously spend a few days looking over the options and couldn't find one that met my needs unless I bought every product they offered.

SKYMTL April 18, 2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 703889)
Kind of OT, but are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I used the WD version when I cloned my WD drive to my new Seagate a couple of months ago.

Odd. I had an issue going from a WD 1TB drive to a Seagate 4TB with WD's software last week. It just didn't work and gave me an error saying "incompatible drive".