Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2013, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Why is microsoft struggling with basic stuff.

Microsoft no longer seems to be the driving force behind its OSes. Nokia has done more for Windows Phone than Microsoft and it seems that Stardock is taking it upon itself to turn Windows 8 in the OS it should have been. What the hell is going on at Microsoft.

First Start8 then Decor8 both basic fundamental things that Microsoft should have implemented and now this. ModernMix? - Run Modern (Metro) apps in a window on your desktop with ModernMix?

I always wondered why the hell I could not run Win8 apps in a window, seemed a strange omission on Microsoft's part to not give us the option to do that.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Microsoft no longer seems to be the driving force behind its OSes. Nokia has done more for Windows Phone than Microsoft and it seems that Stardock is taking it upon itself to turn Windows 8 in the OS it should have been. What the hell is going on at Microsoft.

First Start8 then Decor8 both basic fundamental things that Microsoft should have implemented and now this. ModernMix? - Run Modern (Metro) apps in a window on your desktop with ModernMix?

I always wondered why the hell I could not run Win8 apps in a window, seemed a strange omission on Microsoft's part to not give us the option to do that.
Windows 8 is a tablet OS.

Tablets do not need to run things in a "windowed" mode.

Once people truly clue into this and realize it will be a better place.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:28 AM
Top Prospect

When I first installed Windows 8 I had to Google on how to shut it down, It was a 4 click process if you were in the desktop. Windows 8 is clearly a tablet OS they should have never made Windows RT Just had Windows 8 and had the options for a desktop install with the options the third party mods give us and a touch install for people with touch screen monitors.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What I find most perplexing is that MS is going to stop supporting DX on Vista /7. So, if you want to keep up with the DX Jones', your forced to go with a tablet OS.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly don't think MS is all that concerned with PC gaming these days, and we can take solace in the fact that they released the win7 version of the latest IE after stating that it would only be available for win8 so there's always hope for DX upgrades on win7.

What I'm waiting to see is if they'll buy out one of the start button apps and offer it as a free upgrade for win8.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Simply put: they messed up. Desktop users don't want a tablet OS and tablet users don't want a desktop OS. With Windows 8, the screwed the pooch by trying to offer both.

Get ready for more of this crap to be crammed down our throats in the years to come.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Switch to Ubuntu.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Simply put: they messed up. Desktop users don't want a tablet OS and tablet users don't want a desktop OS. With Windows 8, the screwed the pooch by trying to offer both.

Get ready for more of this crap to be crammed down our throats in the years to come.
I'm really hoping they come to their senses but with what I've seen of Windows Blue I am starting to lose any hope. Improvements to the tablet experience but none so far for the desktop which is where I live on my desktop and laptop 100% of the time so..... They've lost their way both on mobile and desktop and I think they are in need of some leadership changes at this point.

Its really sad that Microsoft has actually become counter productive to their OS with companies like Stardock having to replace features that the OS previously had

If they dont figure it out soon they will be leaving it wide open for someone to come and actually compete with them.

I'm not against Microsoft going into hardware or microsft making a version of windows that runs on tablets, I'm against them insulting the ones of us who still rely on thier software on the desktop and laptop.

and no I will not switch to Ubuntu.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I suspect I may be running win7 for as long as I ran XP, and honestly the only reason for that is the ability to play games, if not for games I'd be running some form of Linux in a flash.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP