Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Win 7 OEM in a new build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/60349-win-7-oem-new-build.html)

Bond007 March 23, 2013 11:16 AM

Win 7 OEM in a new build

The internet is full of confusion over this point, and my HWC search didn't yield me an answer. I have Windows 7 OEM on my current computer, which links itself with the motherboard (from what I understand). I would only have it running in the new build (current CPU/MOB/Ram would be parted out). I am not doing this right now, but wanted a solid answer before upgrade time comes around.

If I did get a new CPU/MOB/Ram, am I forced into buying a new copy of Windows? Can Microsoft be called to use it in the new build, or am I SOL? Please don't answer if you are just guessing (I have read enough of that on the internet). Looking for a solid answer.

stoanee March 23, 2013 03:11 PM

As long as you have the validation numbers and the OS on a dvd you can use it again. You may have to communicate with windoze and convey to them that you had a catastrophic failure of a computer component. They will give you another number to punch in and then you are good to go.

Bond007 March 24, 2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 698419)
As long as you have the validation numbers and the OS on a dvd you can use it again. You may have to communicate with windoze and convey to them that you had a catastrophic failure of a computer component. They will give you another number to punch in and then you are good to go.

Thanks for your help. I do have the original DVD/validation numbers.

Everyone agree? Anyone ever have an issue getting a new number?

JD March 24, 2013 06:01 PM

Legally, you aren't supposed to, but MS typically will just activate it over the phone regardless once you tell them your hard drive/motherboard/etc died.

There's no harm in at least trying this route before buying another copy. It should run for 30 days without activation anyhow.

sswilson March 24, 2013 06:22 PM

Wasn't there a time frame that MS didn't have records for original installed hardware? I thought it was something like 6 months and they wouldn't know anywise.

dustin1706 March 24, 2013 09:57 PM

I have OEM Win7 that I installed on a new system just a few months ago. It was originally installed at least 2 years ago. All I had to do was call the windows activation number and punch in the numbers the PC gave me. Then the phone service gave me a new set of numbers to punch into the pc. Whole thing takes ~10 minutes and you are good to go.

The Quicken March 25, 2013 01:28 PM

I do this all the time, during your fresh install you will see an option to activate once you are online. Usually this does not 'kick in' right away so once installed go to system properties (Windows Key + E) and choose 'activate now'. Choose the online option, it will check and usually fail which will prompt you to use the telephone option-- Call and follow the automated steps:punk: