Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2013, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Well I'm getting no where fast. After 10 hours the system image was reloaded but now it is repairing disk errors - has been doing that for the last hour plus.

I'm thinking it is time to cut mylosses and just reformat the Win8 SSD a day and start fresh reload. Hopefully once win8 is reloaded I can get the dual boot to work and I won't face the same problem with win7.

Thought this would be easy but not sure how to format that SSD without an OS loaded? Is it an option to be found when booting from a os disk? Didn't notice it before. Or should I be booting from the disk that came with my motherboard.

Last time I was here it did eventually recover. (but didn't take this long). But I was advised that it is best to reformat the drive and load fresh. But what's the best way to do that when I can't seem to get past windows efforts to recover?
From what you just said I am going to say your SSD is shitting the bed.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I fear my SSD has a problem. I found out how to format on the OS disk. But I get an error code 0x80070057 and Windows cannot format the disk. Found suggested solutions to format at the command prompt line. Will let you know how that works.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old March 24, 2013, 08:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default JUST A BAD Sata Cable

In searching for solutions I came across a couple of entries that suggested changing out the SATA Cable. I was able to get my Win7 working and I could see the Kingston HyperX SSD (which still had the old subfolders but no files - how odd) but anyway, it could see it, and copy files to it and delete those files. tried deleting the subfolders and while i could delete some others required a trusted someone, I guess as administrator on my own system I was not trusted to delete those folders. Tried to format it from within Win7 - no could not be done. As a last resort I changed out the SATA Cable (glad I had a few extra left over from my build) - and whadaya know - it worked. Dang blasted bad cable. Good enough to allow the drive to be seen and even used, but not good enough to allow for a format? How strange is that. I'm reinstalling Win8 now. Spent most of the day out helping a neighbour fix his computer - I owed him a favour or two, ... working on a e-machine dual core, painfully slow

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig

Last edited by fortkentdad; March 24, 2013 at 09:05 PM.