Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Is there any way to make win 8 look and act like win 7? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/60300-there-any-way-make-win-8-look-act-like-win-7-a.html)

bonanza2000 March 20, 2013 06:01 PM

Is there any way to make win 8 look and act like win 7?

Is there anyway to make win 8 look and act like win 7? I don't like it. I had to look up on the internet how to shut the POS down. :angry2:

Pelt March 20, 2013 06:11 PM

I didn't do to much research on it, but when I was testing out Windows 8 I too didn't like it very much. So I downloaded a program called Start 8 from stardock. It changed my opinion of Windows 8 immediately, instantly usable, returns the start button and boots directly to desktop the way you are used to and the functionality for me at any rate was perfect. The program does cost about $5 I believe.
Start8? for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

Also if you use the code SURVEY2012 you'll save 10%.

But as I mentioned I didn't do a lot of looking around so I'm not sure if there are any free programs available.

AkG March 20, 2013 06:19 PM

Here ya go mate:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ndows-8-a.html

Start8 and Classic Shell I can personally attest to. BUT honestly, even after using them...I nuked and re-installed Win 7 as the pros just were not enough to cover the 'cons'...which bugged the snot out of me. :)

Caldezar March 20, 2013 07:08 PM

Classic Shell is the best of the bunch that I've used. (Currently have it installed on my Surface Pro) But AkG is right, it's not going to completely emulate Windows 7 due to the core seperation of 'programs' vs 'apps'. It's a strange hybrid OS that doesn't really live in any world. I honestly wish they had simply done away with the old desktop altogether so we'd be forced to live in the new style of OS. That would be better than the current split of desktop vs 'start screen'.

That being said, I really don't mind Windows 8 on a tablet 'touch' interface. But I'd never want to use it on my desktop...

YoungMan March 20, 2013 09:53 PM

As much as you make Win8 look like Win7, there are just way too many useful things removed in Win8. All to make it more simplified for the new PC user. I find the more savvy you are, the more you'll dislike Win8. As akg says, the cons far outweigh the pros.

sswilson March 21, 2013 03:08 AM

Yeah, something as simple as trying to do a windows update will start to gnaw on you.... there's a metro app, but I'm not convinced it actually works in the background if you switch to something else while it's running, and doing a search for "windows update" doesn't find the desktop version, you have to remember to look for it in control panel.

Overall (and I still refuse to install a program to give me the basic functionality of the start button that MS will either eventually put back, or they'll move on to a different OS), it's usable on a touch screen tablet, but even that is a less than enjoyable experience unless all you want to do is stick to the metro apps.

igot6strings March 21, 2013 04:35 AM

Using the windows button makes a big difference in this version. I NEVER used it once before w8 now its almost mandatory when you get locked in one of those Metro apps. It took me days to figure out how to get out of there until someone finally told me to push the windows key to minimize the window. I was using Alt-f4.
The only thing you can do to make it more useful is install a 3rd party start button that auto loads to desktop. I use pokki.

ShinraCorp March 21, 2013 07:36 AM

So when do we call Windows 8 the new Windows Vista, after a year? :P

bonanza2000 March 21, 2013 07:40 AM

Microsoft - Making Apple look better and better every day!

I figured out how to get to the desktop and pinned the most useful programs there. I can't see how they thought this was good idea. Also was at the store and saw Office 365. Looks like they will charge you $79 for the student edition and then charge you every year to use it. WTF! Also they seem to be doing away with install disks. This laptop has no recovery disks at all. Really? Is it that expensive to throw in a freakin DVD?

ShinraCorp March 21, 2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonanza2000 (Post 697860)
Microsoft - Making Apple look better and better every day!

I figured out how to get to the desktop and pinned the most useful programs there. I can't see how they thought this was good idea. Also was at the store and saw Office 365. Looks like they will charge you $79 for the student edition and then charge you every year to use it. WTF! Also they seem to be doing away with install disks. This laptop has no recovery disks at all. Really? Is it that expensive to throw in a freakin DVD?

Actually, you have the choice of buying the DVD of Office for 130$ around, which is limited to 1 computer. Or pay an annual 80$ and can use it up to 5 computers, of course it depends as well, what you need. If you only need office for a year or two then use the subscription base, if you're going to stick with Office 365 for a long time then buy the DVD.