Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
MVP

Default Optimizing Windows 8 and some tracking thing.

I vaguely remember reading a thread, pretty sure it was here, but there was some things in Windows 8 where they track your data/usage by default, but there's a way to disable it. Does anyone recall this?

If you use Windows 8, what are some things you do to optimize the OS? For example, in Windows 7, if you have an SSD, you disable defragmentation and superfetch in services.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

as far as I know in windows a it automatically adjusts the OS settings for SSDs
I am not sure of actual tracking but I am very sure and maybe a little bit paranoid of the Applications in win8 the ones that you have to download and or pay for using microsoft aps but like I said that is just myself the only reason that I use anything from MS is becasue I do game and most games only work in Microsoft based Operating systems. .
Kind of like Google tracking where you search for supposedly to help you better I personally believe that Micro soft claims the same thing but sells information that they collect from where and which applications you use to other companies to make even more money.
But again that is just my opinions.
the only things for sure is that any information about your self that uses the internet is open to anyone that has the know how to access it.
so if you using things like messenger or facebook, twitter and someone knows the names you use they can search for that information . I used to search the names and user names of people that I knew using google and was quite surprised at what came up from different forums and social media sites.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup assuming you run the WEI indexing, it'll automatically configure everything for SSD usage. Easiest way to check this worked properly is to bring up Disk Defrag and make sure it says "SSD". Then it runs TRIM periodically to keep your SSD healthy.

The tracking you speak of is Windows SmartScreen. I wouldn't say its overly harmful, just that it checks things you download/launch against MS's database to ensure it's not malicious. You can find these settings in the Action Center on the left hand side.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:30 PM
Allstar

if you're worried about windows tracking you...you're most definitely worried about the wrong thing. your service provider knows EVERYTHING that goes through your connection (ironically, they would be tracking other tracking software as well).

remember, this is Canada, the dictatorship by telecom and co.

EDIT:

i'm just joking btw....

Last edited by Generic User #2; March 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:33 PM
MVP

I was just curious because someone made a big deal about it before. Thanks guys.