Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2013, 06:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Software based raid???

OK here is the scenario... I have used 2 raid arrays over the past 4 or 5 years. A RAID 0 - 2 x WD Raptor 74GB. I fell in love. Last year I bought 5 used WD Raptor 160's using 4 in RAID 0 and have a spare. After the fact I was thinking I should have bought an SSD but I will make use of the 160's.

LATE 2012 a cheap (temporary) PSU destroyed most of my computer. I was reminded of something about RAID I knew - I need the same controller to read the array! I only lost my windows drive which had a few things of little importance.

I want to RUN Redundany copies - RAID 1 - WITH A SOFTWARE SOLUTION! If my mobo dies my data is SAFE. If I sell my Assassin 2 for a EVGA DARK (64GB Ramdisk?) I can switch over no problem (even if I need to reinstall windows).

I currently have 1 - 3TB WD Red HDD for storage, I want a redundant copy for convenience (there is nothing critical on the drive but 3TB is TONNES of stuff, 60% full and counting). I can see myself using 2 - 3TB drives with 2 more for redundancy before the Fall.

IS there a software based RAID solution worth using? Free would be great (if it is STABLE), but I am willing to buy software for this.

If there is a solution can I make a redundant copy of an 120GB SSD onto a 160GB HDD?

Maybe a back up solution (rather than raid) which can back up and make the back up a USABLE copy incase the SSD fails?
Old February 26, 2013, 06:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can convert it to a Dynamic Disk in Windows and then create a Mirrored volume. That's effectively RAID1 at a purely software level, granted it would only show up under Windows.

If you plugged the drives into another non-Windows machine, you'd see 2 disks with identical contents.

Assuming you stick to Intel as your platform and use ICHR for your RAID, it transfers perfectly fine between motherboards as well.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

AWESOME! Thanks JD I will research that.
Odds are I will buy an extra SSD (for backup) in time.

I would have LOVED to buy an AMD system late last year when my old one failed but I wanted a POWER HOUSE PC really bad. Maybe the next rig will be AMD in 3 - 5 years. Supporting the little guy, promoting competition and such. I have an AMD 6870 for that reason.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Intel RAID is pretty slick for what it is. It work really well and it's quite user friendly.