Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2013, 10:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default SOLVED Win 7 Curroupt 2 times in 2 days

I had installed 'Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate' on my PC after FINALLY buying parts and rebuilding. The legitimacy of the Windows copy I used is questionable. A new Copy will be ordered tonight. I never activated or updated Windows either time I installed it. I live in the boonies, an hour outside of Ottawa so I am very fond of online ordering.

I had my PC working for at least a few weeks. Everything seemed fantastic. It was OC'd to 4.6GHz or something like that. I saw no signs of instability but I had not yet done any stress testing. I had also not seen my CPU usage go over 27%. The only load was playing Civilization V (with LOADS of stuff running in the background).

2 days ago the computer shut down on me and when rebooted it told me the bios went bad. The Mobo automatically copied over the bios backup (which was pretty slick). It then tried to boot into windows when I received an error message "The file is possibly corrupted. The file header checksum does not match the computer checksum." I let Windows try to Automatically fix itself but that was a no go. I ran the Windows memory tool that was in the same 'menu' as the automatic repair options. It said the Ram was fine.

I tried a few more times to Auto repair and or boot from cold but no dice.

So I re-installed Win7 again on my SSD (First time I've owned an SSD - WOW It's GREAT). The SSD was the only Hard Drive attached to the PC when I installed both times. I read a bit to make sure I did things correctly. Windows installed fine.For BOTH INSTALLATIONS the computer was running stock speeds to ensure stability. Several hours later the PC shut down in about the same way as before. This time it happened RIGHT when I installed a piece of Stress Testing software (I will post if I recall which one).

This time The BIOS appears to be intact but the Corrupt Windows issue seems to be the same. I will likely reinstall today just to see if it happens again and if it does I hope to find more information to help with the diagnosis. Windows is on my SSD.

My hardware is as follows:

MOBO - Gigabyte Assassin 2 Mobo (Socket 2011)
CPU - Intel 3820 Quad Core CPU
PSU - Antec TPQ-1200 OC Edition
GPU - Gigabyte Windforce 6870 (freshly back from RMA)
RAM - 4X4GB Mushkin Redline Ram @ 2400mhz
SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 120GB SSD
HDD - 3TB WD Red - Storage
Cooler - 212+ Evo Air cooler (a rest stop on the way to H2O)

Any thoughts, comments or questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys!

FYI The Mobo & Ram were bought for half price. The PSU for 70% off! - all new. I try to be frugal

Last edited by mattydies; February 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old February 26, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what about running at stock settings or lower settings? also what type of temperatures , then last but not least ram
Old February 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I ran at stock settings for both installs. The 2nd install ONLY ever saw stock speeds ON ALL PARTS. I was still installing things so I had not yet bothered to RE-OC.

Temps... The first time/ During the OC the CPU (Core 2) never saw over 51 @ it's low load. I had basically used the max 'safe' voltage settings with the intent to stability test and lower voltage. I like the method of giving it 'ALL THE POWER', max the OC and then reduce voltage for said OC. Since I never buy the NEW Gen right away I have the benefit of finding out the MAX voltages before I even buy. The Chipset coolers were surprisingly cool (barely warm) to the touch.

Air flow was a bit poor with the first install (I am ashamed to admit this because I know how foolish it is). The 2nd install had all the fans installed in the case with fantastic air flow. The ram SEEMED ok the first time - 2 sticks cool, two sticks warm to the touch but I estimate they were well within acceptable heat levels. The 2nd time the ram is running COOL FOR SURE. The chipset coolers were barely warm to the touch weather OC'd or STOCK. Even with the 'High voltage' and the over clock things did not REALLY heat up since I never hit more than 27% CPU usage.

The side of the case was also open.

I remember a couple other temps in Speed fan that were 40C or less. GPU only ever hit 60 because I had only tried Civilization V (CPU Dominant). My PSU has manually adjustable 12V and Fan (OC edition). The air coming out of it is COOL. I believe I had set the 12V to approx 12.09V
Old February 26, 2013, 11:09 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The 2nd time, stock speeds I did not really look at temps, I had JUST started checking speedfan before Windows failed. I remember seeing 33 on the CPU. I had only been using the internet and other effortless tasks.

The Ram I used the XMP Profile and the Mobo was fine with that.
When OC'd my ram was running slower that rated speed.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Normally at this point I'd berate you for not following up and testing your OC, but it failed at stock the second time.

My guess: Your RAM has failed.

Memtest86+ to confirm
Old February 26, 2013, 12:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Shadowmeph.
Thanks Perineum - I will do that and reply back.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't use an OCZ SSD if someone paid me to.

Old February 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

30% done the 2nd FULL pass. 0 Errors.

There are newer bios versions I could try to update to in case there is a bios issue the board is unaware of. I will update again later RE: Memtest86+ Thank-you for reading and or posting
Old February 26, 2013, 04:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting thing I saw in Memtest. I KNOW Cache in a CPU is ridiculously fast but...

Level 1 Cache 32KB 120GB/Sec
Level 2 Cache 256KB 55GB/Sec
Level 3 Cache 10240KB 38GB/Sec
My Ram 16GB 22GB/Sec

Old February 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

5 hours Memtest no errors. I will try using one of my WD160 Raptors and see what happens.