Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2013, 10:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

OK so I tried installing Windows on 2 different 160 Raptors. I could not get the 1st drive to install, windows installer would not make a partition.
The 2nd drive installed as normal. Within windows I formatted and partitioned the 1st drive. I STILL could not get windows to install on it. IT says there is no free space even when I delete and TRY to repartition. Is the 1st HDD TOAST?

OK so the installation of windows on the 2nd HDD was fine. I installed a couple drivers and had to reboot. I received the SAME CORRUPT CHECK-SUM MESSAGE! But then I restarted and windows was fine and has been since last night, I have finished installing all drivers and most of my software. I have noticed sometimes the computer has needed to try twice to post even though I am running at stock speeds & settings.

I decided to hook my storage drive up again. I went into the BIOS (Normal, I have not tried the 3D BIOS) to ensure the boot priorities are set right. WHAM!! The Bios gimps out and replaces almost all the the color boxes and text with Various ASCII characters. BIOS trouble it seems to me (though I am not a technician).

I am thinking I should try updating my bios later as there are newer versions. IF the issue is the bios, I know it could be a data problem or - physical problem which an update would not fix.

Any thoughts??
Old February 27, 2013, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well since your RAM tests fine I'd disconnect everything that wasn't important and then upplug AC cord, unplug battery for 30+ seconds. Then try updating your BIOS.

Also, after reflash, set your BIOS to load defaults then save. Reboot. Let it sit at the "no bootable drive" message. Power off via PSU and yank AC and battery again. Load defaults then set it up the way you need it to be.

I'm just trying to rule out that there is something going wonky with the EFI
Old February 27, 2013, 11:29 AM
MVP
F@H

Did you have a crash before you noticed the problem?

I've had instances where a crash seems to corrupt a file/files and Windows doesn't handle it well and it starts to compound. Seemed to be fixed when I restored a recent backup. (But I didn't have SSD as the boot drive.) Also could try a Windows repair to see if that will reinstall the corrupted file.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The bios "gimping out" would definitely point to a video problem, only time Ive seen low level display corruption like that it was a bad video card. Since your mobo doesn't have onboard video.. do you have a different graphics card you could try?
Have you noticed any other video issues like weird colors or artifacts?
Your ram is probably fine, but if you have two sticks, take out one and try the windows install, then switch sticks and try again. See if there is much of a difference.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

How can I mark this thread as PROBLEM SOLVED?
I updated the BIOS and everything seems GRRRRREAT!

LAUGHINGCOW - I do not recall any crashes but I am not sure. I believe I mentioned this, but I tried letting windows repair itself more than once after both crashes. NO GO
ODIS172 - I had not noticed any other video issues. I had not tried swapping a video card as my gut said BIOS.

THANK-YOU FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE! I don't think you are told often enough how awesome you guys are!
Old March 26, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hehe ya it is usually the simple things
Old March 26, 2013, 05:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
How can I mark this thread as PROBLEM SOLVED?
I updated the BIOS and everything seems GRRRRREAT!

LAUGHINGCOW - I do not recall any crashes but I am not sure. I believe I mentioned this, but I tried letting windows repair itself more than once after both crashes. NO GO
ODIS172 - I had not noticed any other video issues. I had not tried swapping a video card as my gut said BIOS.

THANK-YOU FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE! I don't think you are told often enough how awesome you guys are!
Unless they've changed things you just need to double click beside the thread title (before opening the thread) and it should allow you to edit the title.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 27, 2013, 11:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
hehe ya it is usually the simple things
TELL ME ABOUT IT! MY old 775 Gigabyte E8400 Combo hit 4.5GHz. on air BUT half of the problems I had were because the board did not like having a blank USB stick plugged in before it posted! IT took a few tear downs to realize the issue. And a few more times forgetting that and tearing down because I forgot! lol... Everything has a learning curve!

THANKS WILSON! Yup it works like a Charm!
Old March 27, 2013, 01:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
TELL ME ABOUT IT! MY old 775 Gigabyte E8400 Combo hit 4.5GHz. on air BUT half of the problems I had were because the board did not like having a blank USB stick plugged in before it posted! IT took a few tear downs to realize the issue. And a few more times forgetting that and tearing down because I forgot! lol... Everything has a learning curve!

THANKS WILSON! Yup it works like a Charm!
I ran into that exact same issue with the mITX atom setup I'm using for my HTPC (that's a pretty lofty title for what's essentially a hard mounted win7 MP3 player w/ TV display capabilities... ;) ) and like you it took me quite a while to realise that it was a non-bootable usb stick causing the PC to hang. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've encountered that before. I spent weeks trying to diagnose the problem, only to discover it was the USB stick plugged into the back of the rig.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;